Latest News: Forums Technical Spinnaker set up and sources of kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR

Dear all, please see my request for spinnaker info in the racing forum. Might have been better placed here so apologies.

David šŸ˜³

howard

Hi,

There is useful information on the wayfarer ‘institute of technology’ site, see:

http://www.wayfarer-international.org/WIT/race.related/RiggingTips/DerwynHughes/DHSpiSetup.htm

http://www.wayfarer-international.org/WIT/race.related/RiggingTips/MikeMac/MikeMacSpiRig/MacSpiRigFly.htm

(If you can’t make these work, go to http://www.wayfarer-international.org/WIT/WITindex2.html and then click on ‘wayfarer rigging tips’ then select the two spinnaker articles on that page)

You’ve posted to racing, so do you intend to race? I cruise so I don’t care about a few extra seconds in launching and retrieving my spinnaker. So I don’t have spinnaker bags – I drop the spinnaker into a small sail bag I can move from side to side, and keep ready there or stow under the deck (but still keep sheets & halyard attached), and I store the pole in the boat (with my oars). So you might want to try the simplest rig possible to start with, then add pole storage and bags later. Of course racers may justifiably disagree about these ‘savings’.

On my MkII, I bring spi halyard and pole uphaul back to the helm, but the pole downhaul is simply a double shockcord to the mast at deck level. There is a previous discussion on this forum about how to run sheets from the rear deck (my block is as far back as possible, just in front of the handle cutout) to the thwart. I have managed to run mine under the gunwale, but there is foam bouyancy and a reinforcing web that may prevent this, depending on the boat, others have had to run via a turning block on the floor and then to the thwart.

Happy new year

Thanks very much Howard. We do intend to race but only at club level so far. The articles have great info thanks. Notwithstanding the racing and speed of launch your system has made me realise I could improvise something – single bag to get some practice to begin with maybe, then homemade or whatever I can pick up.
    Regards
    David

PeterW3035

How has the spinnaker set up progressed? I have been planning to sort out a spinnaker for sometime and whilst the articles are excellent I would prefer to see things in the flesh so to speak.

The systems for racing types seem over complicated and I just want to install the simplest of systems just to get the kite flying on gentle cruising days.

Anyone have any photos that they could pass on with this in mind? Ideally for Mk 1 woodie/composite configuration. Cleating arrangements at the thwart and uphaul/downhaul options have me stumped.

By the way my mast is an old Gold Proctor mast and I don’t really fancy driling and cutting lots of holes in it.

Peter
    W3035
    Bramble

Still collecting the bits. Hope to complete this at Beaulieu boat jumble shortly. I have looked at the useful articles noted in posts above and Mike Macnamaras is the best. I have also looked at about a dozen systems on racing and cruising boats, although most are multi-purpose. No really good pictures ,and that’s the only thing missing from the posts above. All systems that I have seen have a method of cleating at the thwart or on the adjacent side deck or inside the side deck above the thwart. Most use a reaching hook to hold the guy side down near the thwart but I have seen a barber hauler as well.

The main cruiser/racer difference appears to be in the area of bags. The racing boats I have seen tend to use double bags, whereas cruisers tend to use either a single bag, often improvised. Talking to people, the cruisers want equal sailing efficiency to racers. Longer reaches and runs make efficiency as important as racing. The slickness of hoist is less important. You’ll not be surprised to hear that I have seen no two systems quite the same.
    Cheers
    David

PeterW3035

I’m glad I am not the only one finding the variety a bit baffling, the book Dinghy Systems by Mark Chisnell & John Hodgart is very good for giving even more options !!!

Beaulieu is always a good day out for searching out bits & bobs, I’ll be there hopefully not fighting you for the same cleats & pulleys.

Peter
    W3035
    Bramble

Hello again,
    for further info, just found some useful stuff on the Wanderer website. From their home page click on technical and the first topic is spinnakers. There are 3 (admittedly freehand) drawings, one of which shows a simple open sided clam cleat option for the guy. This is about the simplest I have seen and involves less hardware to buy/sit on. Others are also shown, plus more useful spinnaker advice.
    Cheers
    David

PeterW3035

Time has flown by and very little sailing was done last year, I’m determined to get my spinnaker sorted out this season. Any updates from previous posters?

I am looking for a simple set up for cruising and occasional club racing.

I have an original gold proctor mast which just has a hole from the face of the mast into the luff groove for the spinnaker halyard, not at all clear has this was intended to exit at the foot of the mast?

I need to fit through deck blocks to the rear benches but would like confirmation of their exact location, ideally if someone has a timber Mk1 set up that I could see would be ideal.

Thanks

Peter
    W3035
    Bramble

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.