Latest News: Forums Technical Spinnaker query

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I would like to fly a spinny but, am thinking that as I generally sail with two little un’s, I don’t want to be overpowered. If I flew a Mirror spinny, I’m guessing it would be smaller, this would give me less power but I wouldn’t want to hoist it as high as a normal spinny as this would mean raising the pole etc. and make the power very top heavy. Would there be any issue if I flew it further down, i.e. control problems?

Martyn

I think that you are correct not to pull the spinnaker all the way up but also that flying a small spinnaker low down would be very unstable, because of the long length of halyard (no control of peak).

I remember reading many years ago, in a book that was fairly old then, that boats with small spinnakers sometimes threaded the halyard through a block fixed at an appropriate height on the forestay. The halyard could then be taken up through the normal sheave.

Be warned: I have not tried this, but it may be worth thinking about, provided you do not use hanks on the jib luff, or could do without the top couple.

You would probably need to bring the blocks for the sheets much further forward. My guess would be somewhere between thwart and shroud plates.

Charles

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.