Latest News: Forums Technical Spinnaker pole stowage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Fantasia

I have just bought a new boom due to the corrosion of the previous one. At the moment it has no means of spinnaker pole stowage and I wonder what is the best way to do this is? In the past I have made a support from plastic rainwater downpipe to support the aft end and a clip made from sink wastepipe for the foreward end. These were attached originally with monel rivets and laterly with larger and larger self tapping screws as the holes corroded. I have also seen the plastic covered wire loop for the aft end and a simple plastic hook to retain the pole uphaul/downhaul at the inboard end of the boom.

What does anyone else do?

Thanks

Swiebertje
    Participant

A wire loop is an easy target for the crew whereas the drainage pipe is much harder to hit. (I often need to help my crew aiming). The advantage of the drainage pipe is the pole sits higher and has less chance of catching your swimming aid in a gibe or tack.

As usual there are as many solutions as there are wayfarers. just go for what suits you and your crew best. What are you used to? I ask because spinnaker-ing is a team operation that needs training to get it fast and smooth. If you have a fast and fluent routine with your crew and current set-up, I suggest not to change it. If not, practice with your crew and try different set-ups until you find what works best for you and your shipmate.

Same for:
    – Guy hooks or barber-haulers.
    – A simple clip on the shroud or a hook and cleat for halyard stowage.
    – Bags or a chute (or laundry basket).
    – A douwnhaul clip or a small drainage pipe at the inboard end.
    – Manual pole system or a pole launching system.
    – etc. etc.

Are you racing or cruising? A racer may choose the fastest ‘get and store’ solution whereas a cruiser may choose a more stable pole stowage, well out of the way of his swimming aid, cap or hat.

Fantasia

Thank you Swiebertje. I use the boat for racing and am only thinking of changing my current set-up (plastic pipes) for the reason that you describe (difficulty for the crew to find the hole). I do not have a regular crew at the moment, but I am thinking of the simplest system of the wire loop outboard and a plastic clip for the downhaul at the inboard end of the boom. My pole has the Porter sliding/rotating sleeve for the downhaul/uphaul.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

I never bother with a clip on the boom for the pole, just the aft end in the wire loop and other held by the uphaul/downhaul.
    Reason,
    I like for the crew to have the least number of jobs to do in any manoeuver.
    If your crew has to, take the pole off the mast, find the hoop on the boom, let off the uphaul just the right amount to then put the pole in the clip. Thats way to many things to think about!!

Also, the pole the last time up, had a height you found right for the wind. Why change it when you can stow it at that height ??

One point about the boom, have you tried it on the mast gooseneck??? Does it fit??

CP Racer not Cruiser

Fantasia

Thanks Colin, yes, I have a new type round gooseneck as I got a new mast the year before last. I am all for keeping systems as simple as possible too.

bigal

I use drain tubes but my gorilla keeps breakng them . Solution a piece of insulating tape round the tube before I rivet the tubes on to the boom . I have also feed my pole height controls back to the thwart rather than have them just above the floorboards at the back of the CB case – bending down on top of a Shoreham Ripple can be a cause of instability !!!

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Bending down at any time Big Al is not to be looked at !!!! šŸ˜³

CP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.