Latest News: Forums Racing Spinnaker numbers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Liam

Last year was the first year that Wayfarer Spinnakers were allowed (an oversight) WITHOUT sail numbers. This was due to changing to the ISAF measurement method.

The Wayfarer International Committee (WIC) is now discussing whether or not to reinstate the rule that makes it necessary for boats once again to display numbers on their spinnakers.

From early consultation there are mixed views:
    The main rationale for reverting to numbers required is to ease the task for Race officers of recording boats across the finish line and to ensure boats are identifiable in our various photographic media.
    The main rationale for staying as we are now, with spinnakers allowed without numbers is ease of selling second hand spinnakers and use in different boats.

There are other related issues. It would be beneficial to receive feedback from the membership to inform decision making.

Comments please?

These will be sent in summary form to the WIC.

Many thanks
    Liam

Hi Liam,

I think it would be beneficial to return to the situation with numbers on spinnakers – there were occassions this year at the nationals where results were recorded inaccurately (this may or may not have been to do with spinnaker numbers but it did occur on downwind legs when spinnakers were being flown)

Ease of selling on spinnakers is also a reason for reverting to having numbers as it would discourage people from buying a spinnaker for a specific event and then selling it on. Compared to some classes, the Wayfarer does have boats at the top end of the fleet with a wide range of sail manufacturers and ages. It would be a shame to see people buying sails for a couple of events and then selling them on.

It is my understanding that the majority of dinghy classes have numbers on their spinnaker – it need not have a detrimental effect on performance and is the requirement of many classes.

…………my tuppence ha’penny worth.

Trevor
    Hofreki
    W10686

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

If sails are sold on after a short time in use they go for a good price and the person to gain is a buyer who may not have the same resorces as others.Win Win!

Not so easy to sell a sail with numbers taken off and all those holes in it, i do it every year and it’s the first thing a buyer ask’s but if the price is fair they still go for the bargain !

Yes! I am Lucky!

As for seeing a number on a sail, i would say you would have less chance with a spinnaker that moves around and is looked at from the side when finnishing down wind.

Put the finish line at an angle to the course so your see the main better!

ISAF do not ask for them and it is yet another item to measure that can also be wrong.

What would happen to the sails this year, you cannot make them put numbers on now as they were right this year?

I would say lets leave it as it is !

More cost as well,sails cost alot now and any way to reduce or keep that price from rising is a good thing i would say!

CP

Fantasia

I agree, let’s leave spinnakers without numbers and conform with the ISAF measurement system. There are very few other classes that use them nowadays. They are rarely needed by race officers (& I am one), it is not often that races are finished on spinnaker legs, the numbers on the mainsail are sufficient.

sailfree

Agree leave without numbers.

It seems like the consensus is not to have sail numbers – I dont have strong feelings either way, I thought that having sail numbers may reduce the chance of ‘chequebook sailing’, but if others benefit from those who buy new sails on a regular basis, I will go with that! I will jump over the fence to the side of the general consensus.

Trevor
    Hofreki
    W10686

@Liam wrote:

The main rationale for reverting to numbers required is to ease the task for Race officers of recording boats across the finish line and to ensure boats are identifiable in our various photographic media.
    The main rationale for staying as we are now, with spinnakers allowed without numbers is ease of selling second hand spinnakers and use in different boats.

None of the above criteria are valid reasons, in my opinion, for the inconvenience and minor expense on putting numbers on spinnakers or sticking them back on when they fall off. After Medway my spinnaker shows ‘073’!

Modern asymmetric classes manage perfectly well without numbers on their spinnakers and we should follow their lead.

Steve

Liam

Just to bring everyone up to date. UKWA Excom met last Saturday and decision taken to withdraw the proposal to return to a requirement for Boat numbers to appear on Spinnakers.

It is not a requirement for spinnakers to have boat numbers.

I will take this opportunity to thank everyone who took part in the consultation process. Your comments made the decision making process much more representative. Not all decisions will be made by consensus but on matters such as this, Excom’s job is made easier when the feelings of the membership are expressed and listened to.

Liam
    Chairman
    UKWA
    W 10740 ‘Nimbus’

Anonymous
    Inactive

For the record, I would have supported no numbers on kites had I seen the thread before the decision was made.

PS I appreciate the intent to consult, but the views of just seven keen-types who happen to look at this particular thread on the forum may not be representative. Isn’t there a way of sending an email with voting buttons to all members? Data protection could be maintained by sending them bcc. The views of the majority may be quite different to the few that race.

Liam

Your thoughts are appreciated! Watch out for the new website, then we may be better able to reach your expectations, that does however come at a cost!

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Swd, Your point about the majority is valid in one way but would it fair in this case for the minority racers to have their views overridden by an uneffected majority !!

If you want to put numbers on your sails, your most welcome to do so and the rule gives you that opportunity.

As for the poles, it would be nice if more people bothered to vote on them, 22 people voted on the latest one but we had 260 plus view it??

Some are repeat viewings I am sure but here is your chance. As I have been told many times, if you don’t use your vote you cannot complain about the government!
    You can set up a note to be sent to you I think when a thread has action on it or a new thread is opened, then your not miss anything!
    CP

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.