Latest News: Forums Technical Spinnaker halyard – securing it when not flying kite.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • AUTHOR

Are there any nifty suggestions for restraining the spin halyard near or at the shroud plates. Have tried plastic hook (feeble), slip knot (time consuming when you are rounding the leeward mark and the crew needs to sheet in/sit out) I’ve seen a small metal pivoting bar arrangement on a 470 with a bit of elastic to make it pinch the rope. People use the side entry cleat (reaching hook) – fiddly. Ideally I’m seeking a self releasing idiot proof solution. (Our boat has at least one self-releasing idiot.)
    Regards
    David

Algol

Are you sure you mean halyard? If you’re talking about something near the shroud plates it sound more like the guy/sheet to me.

Swiebertje
    Participant

@Algol wrote:

Are you sure you mean halyard? If you’re talking about something near the shroud plates it sound more like the guy/sheet to me.

No, we are talking about the halyard. Many of us use plastic hooks on the front of the shroud plates. Because these are closed hooks it takes some force to push the halyard in but it will always be pulled out when the helm pulls it. With the spinnaker below deck, the idea is to keep the halyard with the sheets near the shrouds where they are well out of the way of the Genoa and its sheets. Obviously the hooks have their open side towards the top of the mast, otherwise it wouldn’t work.

When the spinnaker is not used (in the dinghy park or when there is too much wind) I wind the halyard around the shroud once, below the hook, then the end (the end that goes to the spinnaker’s top) is put over the loop and through the hook. This ‘knot’ prevents the halyard from being accidentally pulled from the hook.

There are two reasons that I can think of, why this set-up should not work as described:
    1. There is some bending force opening the hook. This is could be caused by off center rivets or screws, or maybe there is just too much force on the rivets or screws.
    2. When the hooks get old they tend to loose their elasticity, only replacing them solves this problem.

Thanks Sweiberte, that is what I mean. I currently have nylon lacing hooks (HA148 I think) mounted on the rear faces of the foredeck (GRP) as far out as they can be. We have quite thin but beautifully free running halyard rope – I guess 4mm. The hooks just dont grip it tightly so the halyard flaps. It doesn’t actually affect the performance that much, the slack is not enough to interfere with the genoa or sheets. I guess I have an innate dislike of flapping rope. Interested to know how you attach the hooks to the shroud adjusters. We have the common type with two rows of holes. The boat has stainless plate type shroud attachments with the plate aligned fore and aft.
    Regards
    David

Roger
    Participant

Where can I get the plastic clips? I have the same affliction,(flaping ropes), as well as my share of “self releasing idiots”.

Regards Roger.

Roger
    Participant

Where can I get the plastic clips? I have the same affliction,(flaping ropes), as well as my share of “self releasing idiots”.

Regards Roger.

Roger
    Participant

Regards Roger.

Swiebertje
    Participant

@David Smethurst wrote:

Interested to know how you attach the hooks to the shroud adjusters. We have the common type with two rows of holes.

I have one that was ready made, you can buy the ready made, for example, here: http://shop.pinbax.com/index.asp?selection=detailed&uid=34502&itemtitle=Shroud%20adjuster%20with%20A148%20spinnaker%20Halyard%20cleat%20each On my previous boat I did it myself with pop rivets, same hooks, same shroud plates, just like the ready made one shown on the web site above. If the hook is on the shroud plate the halyard usually sort of wraps around the shroud, helped by the wind. Maybe that is the secret? I imagine that your halyard, when hooked, is too far from the shroud to wrap around it. Ohw, and I use 6mm rope. Or is it 5mm? It’s definitely not 4mm. Maybe your 4mm rope is the problem? Maybe it is too thin for this type of hook to hold?

Swiebertje
    Participant

@Roger wrote:

Try this: http://shop.pinbax.com/index.asp?selection=detailed&uid=34495&itemtitle=Nylon%20Lacing%20Hook

Algol

I’m still baffled. My spi halyard comes out of the bottom of the mast, runs back along the c/b case, and via a block on the deck is cleated at the very rear of the c/b case ready for use. Why would anyone want to hang it off a shroud?

bigal

They are discussing the other end Algol .If the end tied to the head of the spi is allowed to flap around when sailing at sea a wave can pull the the sail out of the boat very quickly .

Algol

*sound of penny dropping*

Thanks Sweibertje,
    I will pop rivet – I have the bits. You’ve also convinced me that no-one has these super-tight, and for stowage the extra loop you describe sounds good.
    Regards
    david

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.