Latest News: Forums Technical Spin Pole stowage

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AUTHOR
    POSTS
  • #4128
    krgough
    Participant

    Hi Folks

    I’ve seen that some folks have their spin pole stowed along the boom – presumably ready to be whipped out into place with minimum effort. I’m not sure how the pole is held in place next to the boom – could someone describe how this is done?

    Thanks

    Keith

    #9078
    Swiebertje
    Participant
    #9081
    krgough
    Participant

    Hi Swiebertje,

    I’m not sure that I understand the WIT description – it may be because my uphaul/downhaul setup sounds different to the one described. My uphaul/downhaul was supplied by Ian Porter – the uphaul section is a bungee attached up on the mast – there is a long rope tail on the bungee which is the downhaul section – it runs through a grommet on the Deck and back to the helm. At the point where the bungee and rope are joined there is a metal hook – which hooks onto the middle of the spin pole.

    From the WIT description it sounds like the uphaul/downhaul are left connected to the pole? So presumably I have to hook the bungee and the rope out of the way somewhere near the gooseneck end of the boom? I’ve not tried this but my guess is that the bungee will be quite tight if I do this – have I got the right idea?

    PS – trying to add a drawing but can’t get the attachment to upload..

    Ah – thinking about this – I suppose the uphaul part (bungee) doesn’t need to be hooked – it will just lie diagonally accross the sail. The downhaul bit is then running diagonally from the centre of the stowed pole to the deck grommet. So if that was hooked up close to the end of the boom it would lie along the boom then straight down to the deck grommet??

    Does any of this make sense? It would be easier with a drawing.

    regards

    Keith

    #9082
    Swiebertje
    Participant

    @kgough wrote:

    I’m not sure that I understand the WIT description – it may be because my uphaul/downhaul setup sounds different to the one described. My uphaul/downhaul was supplied by Ian Porter – the uphaul section is a bungee attached up on the mast – there is a long rope tail on the bungee which is the downhaul section – it runs through a grommet on the Deck and back to the helm. At the point where the bungee and rope are joined there is a metal hook – which hooks onto the middle of the spin pole.

    Sounds to me like you have it upside down. Most of us sail with a rope uphaul and a bungee as part of the downhaul. The bungee part runs next to the CB case (Uncle Al has it inside the mast) The part above deck is usually rope. The knot between the bungee and rope runs along the CB case and jams in a cheek block at max pole height. The uphaul goes over a sheave half way up the hounds, through the mast and is led back to the helm, often to a cleat on the slanted aft face of the CB case.

    Here is a pointer to the rigging section of WIT with more pages on spinny setup: http://www.wayfarer-international.org/WIT/race.related/RiggingTips/UncleAl/RigItRightContents.htm

    @kgough wrote:

    From the WIT description it sounds like the uphaul/downhaul are left connected to the pole?

    Correct.

    @kgough wrote:

    So presumably I have to hook the bungee and the rope out of the way somewhere near the gooseneck end of the boom?

    Yes.

    @kgough wrote:

    I’ve not tried this but my guess is that the bungee will be quite tight if I do this – have I got the right idea?

    No because it is much closer to the mast when the pole is stored. When the pole is taken in the bungee is released. And also the helm releases the uphaul to bring the pole parallel to the boom.

    @kgough wrote:

    PS – trying to add a drawing but can’t get the attachment to upload..

    I know, something goes wrong in this boards PHP scripts. Same thing happens to me on every first post, editing and re-submission seems to be fine.

    @kgough wrote:

    Ah – thinking about this – I suppose the uphaul part (bungee) doesn’t need to be hooked – it will just lie diagonally accross the sail. The downhaul bit is then running diagonally from the centre of the stowed pole to the deck grommet. So if that was hooked up close to the end of the boom it would lie along the boom then straight down to the deck grommet??

    You seem to have a metal ring and two notches. I prefer the rope loop as described on WIT. I try to minimise on metal parts in lieu of a good knot. Have you ever been hit by a shackle on the tack of the Genoa? If so, you will know what I mean, if not you will have to learn a lesson the hard way…. “Don’t use iron where a knot will do, and learn to knot”. Similar arguments for spi-pole.
    Anyway, the idea is that by twisting the pole 90 degrees the ring can slide over a notch. This allows the up/downhaul to slide to the end of the boom for storage along the boom. Obviously, when the spinny is set again the ring has to be moved back to behind the notch in the middle of the pole again. So, the up- and downhaul are not diagonally across the sail but straight and close to the mast when the pole is stored.

    @kgough wrote:

    Does any of this make sense? It would be easier with a drawing.

    Because any spinnaker set-up, on any boat, is a complex matter I suggest you go out to the dinghy park on race day and have a look on other boats how it is done. Bring a camera and make many pictures of details and ask the owner why he has done it the way he has done it. You will find that there are as many solutions as there are boats…. Alternatively browse through the tens of thousands of pictures on the wiffle web to see how other boats have rigged their spinnaker poles.

    N.B. I did not rig a spinnaker on my previous boat until after I sailed with another Wayfarer and learned to use a W-spinnaker. And that would be my best piece of advice; go out and sail with other sailors and use their setup to find out what you like and what you would do different. And do it before you drill holes in your boat that you may have to fix later on……..

    Whiffle web’s Main page: http://www.wayfarer-canada.org/
    WIC Main page: http://www.wayfarer-international.org/

    #9089
    krgough
    Participant

    Hi Swiebertje,

    Thank you for the detailed reply. So it seems that my uphaul/downhaul isn’t rigged correctly.

    I had a look at the bungee I’ve got from Ian and Its actually doubled over at the spin hook and the ends have loops in that are made with wire clips ie. not tied loops. BTW the hook is like this

    http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|319693|319695&id=118273

    regards

    Keith

    #9092
    Colin Parkstone
    Participant

    I would say that your not rigged incorrectly, just a standard way of doing it for a first step.

    With your system you have the pole stored away in the boat but around to be used.

    The other types of systems talked about and used are for the racers who want to be able to get it up fast? Us racers always have something to fiddle with.

    Not sure what club your at but at Warsash and my club Parkstone, the clue is in the title, we have many boats to be able to show you all types of systems for most things on the boat.

    Give me a PM and come and see them anytime,saturdays best as we race pm, your most welcome.

    Dave Brockenhurst, come over too if you want!

    C P 🙂

    #9094
    krgough
    Participant

    Weird – I think Swiebertje posted somthing about the same time as me and now both messages have disapeared…

    Anyway 2nd time lucky….

    Thanks for the invite Colin. I had come to the same conclusion – a beginners setup. We struggle with the spin, in fact last year we even had the pole on the wrong side for one race – total confusion and red faces all round. We spend so much time mucking about with it that we loose more time than we gain by using it.

    I think the real answer for us is simply to practice sailing courses with a spinaker – the way it’s rigged is probably more finesse than we need at the moment.

    regards

    Keith

    #9110
    Swiebertje
    Participant

    @kgough wrote:

    I think the real answer for us is simply to practice sailing courses with a spinaker – the way it’s rigged is probably more finesse than we need at the moment.

    Amen!

    #9113
    Colin Parkstone
    Participant

    What i would say Keith is that if the pole does not stay in the position you want it to you will not learn how to sail with a spi.

    If it moves up and down with the wind strengths before you want it to your get very frustrated with not being able to fly it properly.

    With the uphaul on a rope, not elastic your stand a better chance to learn how to fly the sail.

    C P

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.