Something unidentified on the top of the boom….

LATEST: Forums Technical Something unidentified on the top of the boom….

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sylvain Caro 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR

Sylvain Caro
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Does anyone knows how this kind of things is used?
    It’s on the top of the boom of my MK2 GRP (Ian Proctor golden mast)…

The precedent owner used to put some rope on it to fix the sail but I’m sure it’s not the good way!

Do I miss some equipement to complete it?

How does it works?

Many thanks!

Sylvain

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  Sylvain Caro.

Bob Harland
    Participant

Hi Sylvain, It would be used for a topping lift – that is a rope holding up the boom when the sail is lowered. These are normal on a yacht, but not used very often on dinghies. The topping lift would go to a block on the mast and then down to a cleat at the base of the mast.
    The topping lift would take the weight of the boom when the sail is down and can be adjusted so the boom is above head height, it is usually slackened off when the sail is fully hoisted.

This is on a swivel so the sail can be rolled around the boom to reef it – without detaching the main-sheet (or topping lift).

You are are correct in thinking it is not used to fix the sail, the slot/cutouts just visible in your photo are used for that – to secure a small line from the sail “clew” by taking 2 or 3 turns.

Hope that helps

bob

Sylvain Caro
    Participant

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your answer!
    I understand now…  but it looks as a nonsense that the precedent owners has put this on this boom, because there are two reefs on the main sail, and there is a vang (found this word with google translate… i talk about the cable who’s fixed on the middle of the boom to the foot of the mast and who permits to pull the boom down and make the boom unable to high too much…)
    and there is a slot on the boom specially made to fix this vang…. so it is impossible to reef the sail without putting out the vang…
    But I understand now how to fix the sail on the top of the boom by using the little slot on the top! Many thanks for that!!!
    So I’ll use this stuff to put some “balancine” (the french word for this rope use to maintain the boom when the main sail is down), and just fix the main sail with 2 or 3 turns around this little slots… or maybe try to fix some pulley to make it easier and easily adjustable, if the length of the boom permits it…
    Thanks again, and please, excuse this approximative english, I’m writting you from France!

Sylvain

Bob Harland
    Participant

Hi Sylvain, yes these days roller reefing is a bit of history, when I first started sailing Wayfarers 30 years ago roller reefing was sometimes seen. People would roll a sail bag into the sail to make a boom vang. But “jiffy” reefing (or slab reefing) is normal now and has been for sometime. Your boat number 3380 would certainly date from a time when roller reefing was done.

Anyway, just to clarify the mainsheet (“rope”) does go on the bottom of the swivel.
    On the photo it looks like there is a hole at both ends of the swivel (top and bottom) – in which case a topping lift / balancine is optional. Most dinghies don’t have both but a few do.

The sail outhaul would go around the slots.

bob

Sylvain Caro
    Participant

Many thanks again Bob 🙂

Sylvain Caro
    Participant

I forgot one question : do you, or someone else does, have a picture of how it use to be done on the top of a Wayfarer boom ( I mean maybe a more recent way to fix the mainsheet on the top of the boom)…like something that permits to fix it, to pull it more or less, to give some fez curve to the sail, etc…? So something simple butmore precise, like a system using pulleys or blockers>
    Thanks!

Sylvain

Bob Harland
    Participant

Hi Sylvain, this link may help, bear in mind it is a few years old now.
    http://www.wayfarer-international.org/WIT/race.related/RiggingTips/UncleAl/VangOuthaul/OuthaulAlternative.htm

Modern booms will have blocks already build in, which you can see on the close up photos. You may be able to modify your existing boom to achieve something equivalent.
    https://www.tridentuk.com/gb/product-wayfarer-boom-snb085-0514.html

hope that helps
    bob

Sylvain Caro
    Participant

Yes it does, many thanks Bob!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.