Latest News: Forums Technical Smartening up my boat.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Turtill

My Mk1 has a cream/white hull which has been touched up with a slightly different shade. I am thinking about having the colour changed to a darker colour so the different shades do not show. Do I need a special wayfarer paint or gelcoat or whatever to do this?

pete

If the boat is still original gelcoat, then you can just paint straight onto it (following cleaning/keying) with a suitable marine gloss, e.g. International Toplac. Two-pack paints are also available at greater cost but will be more hardwearing.
    The thing to watch is that you don’t put 2-pack paint onto normal paint- the solvents in it aren’t compatible.

There are quite a few different marine paints available e.g. Hempel, International, Epihpanes, Teamac. But I don’t think there is a specific one for Wayfarers 🙂

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

I think there are also some epoxy-based paints available, although I’m afraid I don’t know of any specific brands. (It’s possible that they be “trade only”, but where there’s a will…)

Turtill

Thanks chaps. I think I will get advice from a boat builder as I am bound to make the wrong decision.

pete

Geof

You could also consider a whole boat wrap (above the waterline) with lots of different options on design/colour including metallic effects or graphics. Talk to a van wrap printer for pricing.
    I have seen some amazing effects on keel boats using this technique.

Turtill

@Geof wrote:

You could also consider a whole boat wrap (above the waterline) with lots of different options on design/colour including metallic effects or graphics. Talk to a van wrap printer for pricing.
    I have seen some amazing effects on keel boats using this technique.

That sounds interesting. I will ask around about that.

pete

admin

This came up in a thread under the General tab:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1286

I got an estimate from a vinyl wrapping company who indicated about ÂŁ400 for a Wayfarer. I thijk you would still need to spend some time filling and fairing to make sure that air is not trapped under the vinyl but definitely worth considering if you fancy a complete change of appearance.

Turtill

@Mike Summers wrote:

This came up in a thread under the General tab:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1286

I got an estimate from a vinyl wrapping company who indicated about ÂŁ400 for a Wayfarer. I thijk you would still need to spend some time filling and fairing to make sure that air is not trapped under the vinyl but definitely worth considering if you fancy a complete change of appearance.

I am having to understand my sail settings and I may have to spend something so I am holding back until I know the boat will sail faster and cruise too without having to change the jib halyard each time.

pete

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.