Latest News: Forums Technical Sliding Goose Neck

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • AUTHOR
    wayfarer5560

What i meant was that sliding goosenecks are not used as much to controll the leech anymore because boats have got a downhaul/cunningham

Swiebertje
    Participant

Sliding goose necks are and were never used to control the luff. The rules do not allow us to move the boom below the black band. Besides, why would anyone want a tight luff? Don’t you love those “speed” wrinkles? The only useful application of a moving goose neck is if the sail gets old and the luff rope shrinks. I suppose you could move the goose neck up as a temporary fix. But what you should do is fix the problem, the luff bolt rope.

The big problem with sliding goose necks is they never stay where you want them unless you rivet them in place. There is no good reason for having a sliding goose neck IMHO. And that is why modern rigs have a fixed goose neck. And that has nothing to do with having or not having a Cunningham rigged. Only some tent users complain, but I have shown in my previous post there are good, if not better alternatives to a sliding goose neck.

BTW a Cunningham does not control the boom, only the luff. As such it is a different mechanism as a downhaul/sliding goose neck.

Edit: leech changed to luff.

BluTak
    Participant

I know this is a dumb question but how does a cunningham control the leech? I thought it only controlled the luff. Maybe you’re mixing your luffs and leeches. With my sails I obviously fitted a bolt rope I didn’t bother with a leech line.
    I aggree that the sliding gooseneck tends to drift up the mast. When I use a fixed gooseneck I haul the sail so that the boom is say 75mm above the fitting. I then cleat the halyard and pull the boom down to the gooseneck whick stretches the luff nicely. Robert

Swiebertje
    Participant

Aaaaahhhrrg, will edit posting immediately.

A good sail should not have its luff stretched. If you need to stretch it as you describe there are four possible causes:
    1. You raise it above the upper black band.
    2. Your boom is below the lower black band.
    3. Your bolt rope has shrunk.
    4. It isn’t a Wayfarer sail.

A good sail has an over sized luff and shows those lovely “speed” wrinkles as Mike Mac calls them. A Cunningham stretches the luff and takes the wrinkles out as you correctly noticed. Raising it above the black band is not allowed while racing and good advice for cruisers since the sail maker has not designed the sail to be hoisted above the black band. To avoid raising the sail above the upper black band I have added a stopper at the upper band. That stopper is just a small piece of aluminium riveted over the sail groove. I think a long rivet wit its “tail” inside the groove would work too.

Fantasia

When I haul my mainsail up (fixed gooseneck), I have the boom detached and haul it up until the boom is level with the gooseneck fitting, the head of the sail should also be at the upper black band. I then hook on the halyard (wire loop onto sharks tooth rack) and then fit the boom to the gooseneck. This leaves little tension on the luff and those all important speed wrinkles. Any tension on the luff will open the leach and de-power the sail. We only use the cunningham in high winds to tension the luff, open the leach and de-power the sail.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

As the sail is not measured and only controlled by the bands, the sail luff can,and often is made long or shorter by different sailmakers.

With this in mind, it is best to set the sail to a good shape and not necessarily to the top band.

A sail can have a good shape short of the band if it has been made that way.

The leach is opened with the cunningham on because the head of the sail is pulled closer to the tack,thus making the leach loose and open to help to depower without easing the kicker. Thats the next step to bepower the main.

C P 🙂

BluTak
    Participant

Well you live and learn! The boat I used to stretch the luff on was a Firefly many years ago. My Wayfarer sails are new (I made them myself from Contender cruising cloth under the close supervision of a friend) and they set beautifully. Although I don’t race the Wayfarer I shall from now be very careful not to stretch them but surely if you put the Cunningham on hard you stretch the boltrope so whats the difference? I now understand how the cunningham opens the leech. I’ve never heard of speed wrinkles before and must admit that the black bands disappeared a long time ago. I made my luff 19′ 4″ and pulled the bolt rope 1″. Robert

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

What you are not looking for when you pull the luff of a sail down is a fold of sail, just aft of the mast luff groove from the head too the tack !

This is when the wind is light too medium.

When the wind is high, that fold will be blown aft in the sail and the mast will be bent more so will take out the extra fullness and flatten the sail.

One tip to look for when trying to work out if the halyard,luff is too tight is to sail down wind with the boom out and kicker eased.

If there is this line of folded sail behind the luff groove between the head and tack, then the halyard is too tight and should be eased till gone.

That will be just right for the luff upwind as well and can be adjusted with the cunningham when needs be.

C P

wayfarer5560

[attachment=0:27gzxdhq]Photo0099.jpg[/attachment:27gzxdhq][attachment=1:27gzxdhq]Photo0098.jpg[/attachment:27gzxdhq][attachment=2:27gzxdhq]Photo0097.jpg[/attachment:27gzxdhq] I have fixed the Sliding gooseneck , it turned out to be very easy , i just got a m12 SS bolt and cut some of the threaded bar so that it was half round , then i took it to my work shop where i drilled a hole as central as posible , then i cut a thread for an m4 bolt in the half round piece . Then it was just a matter of welding a wing nut to the m4 bolt ( i did not have any wing bolts , also i fancied geting my welder out 😆 ) then it just all fitted together and tightens rock solid in the mast 😀

Swiebertje
    Participant

Nice job!
    Thanks for the update and the pictures.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.