Latest News: Forums Technical Sliding aft buoyancy compartment hatch

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Participant

Aft buoyancy hatch.

My project boat has a sliding aft buoyancy compartment hatch. Does anyone else have one like this, if so how to you ensure a seal? When shut it feels tight, but I’m not convinced its air tight.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nope, that’s not air-tight. It looks like a previous owner has modified it to make access easy for storage but kinda neglected that the buoyancy tank is needed to contribute to the safety of the boat.

In your case I would suggest you put as much buoyant material and bags as you can fit in there.

Incidentally if the aft tank does flood and there is no fixed buoyancy in there then when you get the boat up after an incident you will not be able to bail the boat out as the centreboard casing top will be underwater. Yes that’s a bit scary, isn’t it?

Mike

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

I agree that it’s not likely to be anywhere near watertight. Why not remove the rails and return to something like the original, with the hatch cover overlapping the opening on all four sides, a neoprene/foam seal all round and some clips to hold it down?

Participant

Thanks guys. That was exactly my thoughts. Will probably go with simplest option and stick something floaty in there.

Cheers

Swiebertje
    Participant

Before modifying it, test it. I don’t think so, but maybe it is OK.

Edit: Aaahrg, no colouring! The words “test it”  above are a link to the buoyancy test page.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

I’ve (more or less) sorted out the hyperlink styling now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.