Latest News: Forums Cruising sleeping on bunk boards accross seats and pik of my tent!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Read Jon Ridings stuff on boat tents and his request for ideas on sleeping arrangements above the floorboards etc. ….(not much forthcoming on the bed design)….I would also be interested in designs for sleeping above/at seat level……….noticed Ralph Roberts refers to boards on his Mk2 with storage containers doubling as support in the middle (Canadian Whiffle). I like this idea as possibly we could squeeze a child in with us (assuming we had effectively constructed a double bed type sleeping platform)

My questions are
    1.Would the boards be clipped somehow to the floor when sailing? (ie storage issue)
    2. Can anyone share their expertise for sleeping structures here? (I don’t fancy hammocks and I am completely happy on the floor despite a low mk2 thwart…….my wife is less happy and a child joining us obviously could not work on the floor

PS looking forward to seeing if uploading the photo works
    PPS Yes it does work! (it went via “my gallery” on this site)…….so anyone registered can do it……..its not difficult

And this bit here demonstrates you can edit your posts too which I did not know. Brilliant. Thanks Bob.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Dave,
    I used to sleep on the floor and put the aft side benches across the top of the centreboard case for smallest child. We even slept 5 once with the wife and I head and tail with the larger two kids. Only once though!
    Matt

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Matt
    Just got your reply while editing the first posting and sorting the picture.
    Congratulations on getting five aboard to sleep (I confess my motivation normally for sleeping in the boat is to escape the kids but I do hope maybe one or two of them will discover the magic of sleeping aboard in due course……..can you run a DVD player off an outboard?)

And just to justify the glamorous picture of the boat tent from inside……I chose it because it shows my wooden rectangle that holds out the sides of the tent ………for those unfamiliar with the idea of the mk3 tent…….now I know I can upload more if anyone is interested. I would add I designed my tent for fairweather camping (or at least fair weather forecast camping)………not survival stuff (see earlier postings Nov 2006 in Technical section)

So lets see some good Wayfarer piks. I’m going to put another one in the general section just for fun

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave,
    There was a wonderful presentation at last years Cruising Conference on sailing with small children – the speaker never mentioned the idea of a DVD player though! Perhaps Mr (Gadget) Maynard has a solution?
    With the benefit of much hindsight I would like to say that with youngsters it is important to set your sights low. My cruises with the kids sometimes took us just over one mile from base! Then it had to be playtime.
    Matt
    W 773

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.