Latest News: Forums Technical Shroud anchor plate

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • #3598

    The port metal shroud anchor plate has sheared off at deck level on our Wayfarer. It appears that the base of the plate that remains is somehow part of the gunnel/rail and inside it. What is the fix for this?
    Is it to remove the exposed part of the other plate and fix new ones bolted through the rail/deck? Or, as in some other classes to pass thro the rail and anchor to the inside of the hull?

    Dave Barker

    What sort of Wayfarer is it? Wood/grp and mark?


    Oops sorry. Its an all GRP boat, Mark 2? sail no 7969 GRP. Can we get the fitting anywhere?

    Dave Barker

    You may be able to get the fitting from Porter’s (01243 377522) or Trident (0191 490 1736), both of whom specialise in Wayfarer gear and will know the correct fitting for your boat, although shroud plates are widely available if you already know the size etc. From memory you shouldn’t need to remove the trim from under the side decking, although I’m sure boats from different builders vary on details like this.

    The part that remains on the surface of the deck is (as far as I know) just a flange with a slot that the shroud plate passes through. The lower, intact part of the broken plate is probably bolted to the inside of the hull just above the waterline. The plates seem to be supplied in two parts (see picture) – presumably the shorter length is a backing plate sandwiching the hull – without a boat here to look at I can’t remember exactly 😆

    It’ll be obvious once you start investigating properly. Good luck.



    On my MkII the shroud plate went through the skin fitting and was through bolted to the upper part of the hull – fairly easy to replace, and so critical that I’d recommend replacing both if one has already failed!


    Colin Parkstone

    Maybe I can be of help!
    You may find that the shroud plate is made up in the following way in that you will have a longish plate as in the picture but below the deck and on the inside face of the hull the plate has two stainless cross plates welded to it.
    This is glassed into the hull before the deck is put on and then the deck has two slots in it for the plates to come through when the deck is bonded to the hull.
    Then the cover plate is put on the plates too cover the slots and a screw or bolt is put through the gunwale and plate and bolted on the inside of the gunwale moulding.
    You can feel inside the hull a slight raised area under which are the plates.
    Your job!! If you choose to accept it?? is to grind away the crovering glassfibre and if you can still get the plates( try Ian Porter) reglass them in!! Just Like That!!
    Or you can use the plates shown in the picture which are actually two different length plates and bolt them through the hull.Remembering that when put in the same line as the old plates you will have to drill through the old stainless plates.
    CP 🙂


    Thankyou yes, I now realise that the plates have been glassed in, I could find no evidence of them on the inside save for a bump in the grp moulding. I understand the ‘fix’ thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.