Latest News: Forums Technical Self bailer repair + repaint

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Michelle Brown
    Participant

Hi all, I am a new member to this forum.  We have purchased a second hand Wayfarer.  I sailed a lot as a teen and young adult in Canada and now have this boat on a Loch in west of Scotland.  Having used it for a few summers for fun/family sailing with my kids I am now trying to do some repairs and restoration.  The first task has been the leaking self-bailers.  I will try to attach  some before / after pics.  the area around the bailer was quite rotten.  I have pulled it out and used epoxy to refill.  I now need to repaint bottom of the hull.  Have read posts here on pros / cons of 1part or 2part paints.  Planning to sand / repaint later in March.  Grateful for any further top tips for learner.

Bob Harland
    Participant

Hi, If you are using 2 pack paints/varnishes measuring the respective quanities requires a bit of consideration. I recently did the foredeck and used 2 large syringes which were easy to measure out suitable amounts of varnish for each coat. Syringes were labelled clearly so they do not get mixed up.

You can only apply 2 pack over  existing paints if they were also 2 pack. Not an issue if you are going back to bare wood.

2 pack is more work but will give a longer lasting finish. My best results have been wih a roller and tipping out with a good brush. Whatever type of paint / varnish you choose, preparation takes much much longer.

Hope that helps

Michelle Brown
    Participant

Thanks so much for the top tips.  It is a GRP (Mark II) and there was water leaking around the bailer.  When tightening up the screws I realised the GRP was very damaged around the bailer.  I used marine epoxy (plastic padding) to fill and fix the area and will replace the neoprene as well.  If I could share a picture I would.  I now realise I need to fix and repaint the bottom of the boat.   If I use t the marine epoxy filler to fill any wear and tear / scratches  wondering if there is any issue with choice of paint?  I am not sure what is on there already but someone suggested in colder temperatures that one pot would be better.  We will pull it out of the loch at the end of each day.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.