Latest News: Forums Technical Screwing into a mast or boom

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • AUTHOR
    wayfarer5560

Hi could any one help me on what type of screws to use if i needed to screw into my mast or boom , unfortunatly i do not have a rivet gun and was wondering if i could use screws instead ❓

Algol

Self tappers, preferably stainless

wayfarer5560

Thanks algol , is there a prefered length and should the pilot hole be quite small or just small enough ?

Algol

They come in all sorts of diameters and lengths and head types. See here, for eg: http://www.tridentuk.com/sailing/Self_Tappers.html

Which you select depends on the thing you want to screw down, but on the mast or boom you wouldn’t want to use something that’d protrude very far inside because of the risk of fouling some control lines.

Algol

@wayfarer5560 wrote:

should the pilot hole be quite small or just small enough ?

You should drill out enough so that it’s only the sharp thread that cuts into the alloy you want to screw into. A bit of trial and error with a set of drill bits is the best way to do it

Swiebertje
    Participant

@Algol wrote:

@wayfarer5560 wrote:

should the pilot hole be quite small or just small enough ?

You should drill out enough so that it’s only the sharp thread that cuts into the alloy you want to screw into. A bit of trial and error with a set of drill bits is the best way to do it

No, a bit of measuring works much it better. With a caliper it is easy to measure the thickness of the screw’s core but you can also eyeball it on a tape measure. Drill a hole equal to the screws core diameter. After test fitting and cutting thread in the mast, remove it and grind the sharp point from the screw, it will “bite” your halyards otherwise. And for that same reason it is IMHO better to use pop rivets instead.

If loads are low Aluminium pop rivets are best for they do not create galvanic problems with an Aluminium mast. If you use Monel or Stainless Steel rivets, screws or even SS parts, you need a little Duralac between the steel and Aluminium to prevent Electrolysis, specially if you sail on saline water.

wayfarer5560

Thanks guys that has helped alot , the only problem is i dont think i could rivet a clam cleat on the side of the boom , therefore screws would probably work better . Once this is done the outhaul will be complete and the boat nearly ready for the water 😆

Swiebertje
    Participant

Outhaul cleat on the mast? I hope you made an honest mistake, the outhaul sits in the boom and an outhaul cleat is usually fixed to the boom. The purple line in the picture is my outhaul.
    [img]outhaul.jpg[/img]

wayfarer5560

Yeah sorry about that I am going to put the outhaul arrangement that has been discussed in another topic .

BluTak
    Participant

Agreed rivets are a lot better but for pilot hole google – pilot hole self tapper -Robert

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.