Latest News: Forums General Scratched to Buggery

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Fundoctor

‘Farers

Our Mk2 with navy blue gelcoat has got a lot of scratches on hull which mar the look. New to the game and wondering about having it redone. Any tips? Likely cost? Recommended traders? We are based in Bristol. Would it be worth considering touch-up also – heard it is hard to match colour and might be good money after bad?

Thanks in anticipn

Trevor

tempest51

Trevor,

I would try using a top quality professional cleaner/ cutting compound like Autosmart, then apply carnauba wax a few times during the season…yes it’s elbow but good practice for lifting the pints having saved a few readies. There is an article in Yachting Monthly this month (summer 212) specifically dealing with this subject…restoring hulls that is not alcoholism. Do let me know if you get the results you are looking for.

admin

How about a Vinyl Wrap? See http://wildboatwraps.co.uk/Case-Studies

This was included in an article in Practical Boat Owner recently. I have seen Munkenbeck (see website, follow the link) in the Solent and it is flawless. There was a story in the PBO article about someone who always wanted a dark blue yacht hull but knew that it would limit the resaleability of the boat, so he bought a white boat, had it wrapped in blue, enjoyed it for a few years, then when he sold it he peeled off the blue vinyl to reveal a pristine white hull.

The treatment of your Wayfarer would differ in one small way…

admin

OK just got an estimate from the Wild Boat Wraps, they say to do the topsides of a Wayfarer would cost about £400.

That’s quite a lot except it cost me about £200 to get enough primer, pre Kote and topcoat ( about 5 coats) from International paint for the Hull and Deck of my Mk 2 and spent probably another £150 on preparation, fillers, repairs to gelcoat etc, plus my time at £?? per hour.

If your boat is in otherwise good order and the scratches are only gelcoat deep, it might be worth thinking about. You would still have to fill and rub down ( and probably polish) to provide a clean surface for the vinyl, but then you could have a splendid new finish in any colour you like, maybe with graphics.

I like the idea of the mirror effect. That would be cool.

Fundoctor

Mike

You have entered me into a totally new line of thought – like that. Wrap the bugger in coloured cling film! Will investigate,

Thanks

Trevor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.