Latest News: Forums General Sailing in the Northwest / Cheshire

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anyone have any suggestions, on a good club or spot to sail in the northwest / cheshire?

Initially i just want to get to grips with learning to sail our wayfarer, and then see what develops.

Ideally i wanted to find a club or spot that has at least a few other wayfarers on it.

Thanks,

Rob

W10143

Rob

Have you looked at Dee Sailing Club on the Wirral?

Good Estuary Sailing.

David

Hi Rob

We are in Cheshire (Northwich) so can offer you some ideas which may be of help.

I too would recommend Dee SC for both cruising and racing. It is very tidal though – several knots of tide can be a bit off-putting plus you are restricted to around 3 hrs sailing over high water so you may want to build up a bit of experience first.

There are several good inland locations closeby that we use from time to time which would be all good for learning.

Trafford Watersports
    Manley Mere (nr Chester)
    Tatton Mere (Tatton Park, Knutsford)
    Winsford Flash

We’ve also launched at Northwich Marina for a river trip on the Weaver.

In terms of coastal sailing West Kirby is good for a trip out round the Hilbre Islands. Wallasey is an option for getting out on the Mersey (we’ve not done that yet but it’s on our list).

Looking a bit further afield to North Wales there aren’t a great number of good launch sites along the coast until you get to Anglesey. Menai Bridge and Beaumaris in The Straits are worth considering. Bala is excellent for some lake sailing.

I’ll send you a pm with my contact details – feel free to get in touch.

Jonathan
    W2312
    Shuna

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks both for the advice, i think i will build up some experience in the inland lakes you suggest and then maybe look at the costal options.

Rob.

Hi Rob.
    Try Fidlers Ferry Sailing Club, Penketh, Warrington.
    http://www.fidlersferrysailing.org.uk
    Racing depending on the tide. You race at the top of the tide and for about 2hrs on the ebb. Mixed fleet of Falcons, Wayfarers, Albacores, s/h Lasers etc.
    Also Weaver(?) Sailing Club at Frodsham where there is a mixed fleet including Wayfarers. Non tidal on R Weaver. Regular racing and RYA 1,2 training with Conrad. Both clubs are likely to allow you to sail as a visitor.
    Budworth Sailing Club very active but there is not a Wayfarer fleet.
    For daysailing try Rudyard Lake near Leek approx 2 miles long. Warden and staff at visitors centre, where you park and launch, very friendly. Cafe serving bacon butties etc open all summer. Model railway and walk/cycle way round lake. Ideal for a family day out. Tatton Mere in Tatton Park also has day sailing ( max. length 16 feet) again ideal for a family day out. Suggest you ring both.
    About £12 to launch.
    John. Member FFSC.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great. Thanks John.

Rob.

Iain

We also live in the North West, although Crosby and Southport Marina are the nearest, for us the lake district is best sailing nearby,
    Launching at the south end of Windermere at Fell Foot is Ok for a day out or we go to a campsite near Pooly Bridge on Ulleswater for a weekend sail.

Hi, we are getting our first wayfarer and have just visited the jumbles sc. near Bolton they are a very friendly club on a smallish resevoir and have several wayfarers. Plenty of good advice and helpful people.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I feel duty bound to mention Rossendale Valley Sailing Club. Clean water and about as clear winds as you’ll find on any upland reservoir.
    We’ve got seven Wayfarers, including the club’s training boats.
    Have a look at our website (rvsc.co.uk), but better still, call in for a brew and a butty. We’ll do our best to make you welcome.

The recent post from Ribble Cruising Club prompted thoughts of perhaps an Open Meeting for cruisers. I don’t think there’s a spinnaker among any of our boats and some of them are quite old, but perhaps a “friendly” might appeal to some local Wayfarers.

Season’s Greetings to one and all!

Doug

Algol

@Forbes wrote:

The recent post from Ribble Cruising Club prompted thoughts of perhaps an Open Meeting for cruisers.

A fine idea!

I’m hoping we at RCC will organise some dinghy cruises in 2010. We have some day sail candidate routes from here. 1. Up the Ribble to the River Douglas with a pub stop at the Dolphin at Longton 2. Out of the estuary and round the Gut buoy (which seems a good idea as a first sea sail).

I’ll keep members posted of our plans as we get into 2010..

Happy xmas!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Or perhaps you’d like to join us for a trot around the bouys while waiting for all that mud to get wet… 🙂

All the best!

Doug

mhardman

One more for you – Errwood Reservoir – I used to hike in this area a lot, handy for Stockport/Macclesfield area.

http://esc.widu.co.uk/ERRWEB/aboutesc.htm

It’s not clear whether you have to be a club member to launch?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.