Latest News: Forums Technical Sail Numbers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AUTHOR
    FAIRWINDS

I have bought some good seconhand sails and had my boat numbers supplied. I need to know exactly how to place them on the main sail. The class information is not detailed enough. I know starboard is higher but not about all the relevant spacing. Can anyone help me please

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Fairwinds,Go to the UKWA website, press on Racing, press on Class rules,

Download file, go to rule 30.6

Try this,

CP 🙂

FAIRWINDS

@FAIRWINDS wrote:

I have bought some good seconhand sails and had my boat numbers supplied. I need to know exactly how to place them on the main sail. The class information is not detailed enough. I know starboard is higher but not about all the relevant spacing. Can anyone help me please

Thanks for taking time to reply. I had read this but does not mention which side is higher nor inter number or to edge of sail spacing. I guess Iwill try and measure another wayfarer sail .THANKS AGAIN

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

You could ask Mike McNamara for advice – phone no. 01692 584186. Maybe worth a try?

FAIRWINDS

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE WILL DO

Anonymous
    Inactive

Further to the above, did anyone come up with a definitive spec as to sail number spacing / location?

I’ve just ordered a new mainsail and so will be faced with the same problem soon. Also, is there any necessity to have national marks on a sail if you have no intention of competing at anything above club level? It wasn’t so bad when all you had was “K” but the idea of sticking a “GBR” on each side of my main seems like a bit too much needless trouble and expense!

Swiebertje
    Participant

@John1642 wrote:

Also, is there any necessity to have national marks on a sail

I have two answers for you:

First a formal answer:
    No, National markings are not required because the sail numbers are issued by the copyright holder and are unique, worldwide. National markings are required only if a class has a separate sail numberings in every country. The only exception to this ISAF rule are the Olympics where every competing boat is required to have country markings in their sails.

And now the more important answer:
    National markings are against the spirit of the class IMHO. Most Wayfarer sailors like to emphasize the feeling of belonging to a family that shares something special, a unique sailing craft. This family feeling goes beyond geographical borders as many fellow Wayfarer sailors will attest. And once you visit one of the many International gatherings or races you will be amazed how much the International Wayfarer crowd has in common besides sailing a Wayfarer. I like to think this is the main reason why most of us do not have national markings in our sails. And also it looks horrible! Having all those letters and numbers up (8 letters and 10 digits) makes your main look like the front page of the Times.

Having said that, I do have to admit that most of us do carry a small ensign while cruising, but I like to think that is only a matter of law…. And also cruisers tend to fly a small courtesy flag in the starboard shroud while abroad.

Oh, the Dutch and the Scots will tell you that less letters means less money spent. After all, it was them who invented copper wire while fighting for a penny.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I totally agree that sails look much nicer without this silly modern 3 letter national acronym. It wasn’t so bad when they just had a K.

Will measure up my old sail to get an idea of spacing and location, and maybe try and post a diagram up for the benefit of others once I’ve done so.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Surely John your new sails will come with the sail numbers on the sail as well as the Class insignia.
    On a new set I do hope your getting them for free,you would with any other sail maker I know or use ???????
    Cp 😮

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Colin Parkstone wrote:

Surely John your new sails will come with the sail numbers on the sail as well as the Class insignia.
    On a new set I do hope your getting them for free,you would with any other sail maker I know or use ???????
    Cp 😮

No doubt you’ll be holding your hands up in horror, but here’s the story…

My boat is an ageing MK1 GRP that I bought for £800 3 years ago. Hull was sound but tatty, and only ever used for cruising – rope halyards, no kicker etc.

Over the last two years I’ve been doing odd bits to it to try and get it up to a reasonable club racing spec. We now have a wire jib halyard with highfield lever, a proper 14:1 twinned kicker, side-bench mounted jibsheet tracks and so on. The biggest thing letting it down now is the sails which I estimate as being c.1980 and in “crisp packet” condition!

So for the last two years I’ve been looking all over for a decent set of one or two season old racing sails, but every set I find is either advertised as “no longer much good for racing” or they want £500+ for a main and genoa. That in itself might not be so bad, but up here in Cumbria we’re a long way from another competitive Wayfarer fleet so it would basically be a case of parting with £500 to get someone to post a set of sails that I haven’t even seen.

All the new sails from “known” manufacturers seem to be over £1000 for main and genoa which I simply can’t afford, and even if I could they don’t seem like a terribly good investment relative to the value and condition of the boat, but then I came across this guy on ebay…

Wayfarer Main

Had a sudden rush of blood to the head and did a deal for a main + genoa for £564 delivered. Unfortunately he didn’t have all the numbers I wanted so we did a bit of a deal on the carriage instead, hence I’m looking for some numbers elsewhere.

Now I know I ought to have bought a set of Macs, Banks etc but being the cheapskate I am I’ve plumped for this “value” set. I guess only time will tell how wise a move this is! The fact that his other sails are all for relatively competitive dinghy classes gives me a glimmer of hope that they won’t be that bad!

John1162

Have a look at the enclosed picture. The port set of numbers is lower and they are above the second batten and in line with rule 30.5 & 6. Spacing to the leach is not specified but numbers are usually placed close to the leach.

30.5 Emblem. Shall be shown on both sides of the mainsail. To be in accordance with the official drawings (a stylised W, with its
    wing trailing towards the leech of the mainsail). On white sails the class emblem shall be red, and on other coloured sails of
    contrasting colour to sail.
    30.6 Sail numbers on mainsail. Shall be shown on both sides below the class emblem and above the upper of the two lower battens.
    The numbers shall be of contrasting colour to the sail and not less than 300 (11¾”) in height, nor 200 (7.7/8”) in width (except for
    numeral 1) nor 45 (1¾”) in thickness.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.