Latest News: Forums Technical Rudder stock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR

Hi everyone,

Can anyone please suggest a replacement for my old and almost disintergrating wooden rudder stock.

I have seen a number of ally ones with nice strong tillers but was wondering if there are any experiences out there of good / bad ones.

Thanks.

Laurie
    W1858

Swiebertje
    Participant

If it is old it is probably a wooden one. I would suggest to make a new and re-use the metal parts. It isn’t as difficult as it sounds, nor is it expensive. All you need is the official drawing from the associations secretary (or use the old wood as a template), a power jigsaw, a power drill and some sandpaper. I have just finished one (for the third time) for a fellow sailor and I made lots of photo’s of the process. I am working on an essay with these photo’s that will explain how to do it. I hope to publish it on WIT in a few weeks time.

BTW there is also an unofficial drawing available here: http://www.wayfarer-international.org/WIT/maint.repair.ref/CB.rudder/unofficial.rudderstock.drawing.pdf

Pete Lock

I have just spent the last two days sanding down the stock and blade. Judging by the state of the stock mine has been made as some point over the years. It was not the prettiest of affairs before I started work on it, but it is heading in the right direction now.

After removing a really thick layer of Epoxy coating over the top edge and a few layers of varnish from the sides, I managed to work out its construction. It would appear that it has been made of a piece of solid mahogany sandwiched between two pieces of 5 ply. Unfortunately where the three pieces had come together at the top, little care had been taken to ensure that they were nice and flush and level with each other and they had been coated with resin to try and even it all out.

Spent a couple of hours removing the offending resin and sanded them all back to a nice flush smooth surface. Next weekend I will start the job of varnishing.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Bit late maybe but the new stock on the Hartley boats looks good.

I would point out that if you spend the money on a new stock,you can remake your wooden one and then put it back on the boat when you sell it.

Some times the older boat has not so much value in it to deserve the new fitting you go for yourself but the referb of the wooden one will do the job fine for the next owner.

C P 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.