Latest News: Forums Technical Rubbing strake

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • AUTHOR
    JoJo

Still thinking of what to do – I wonder about getting a nice length of braided nylon rope and finding a way to attach it – could be a cheaper option.

Bob Harland
    Participant

Please, get a nice piece of hardwood.

Swiebertje
    Participant

Hear hear.

So far I have not seen a Wayfarer look good with plastic rubbing streaks, not even with purpose designed plastics. After a season they all look shabby and cheap. Get a nice piece of hardwood!

JoJo

I am convinced – how do you get a hardwood rubbing strake – do i start with a length of hardwood and shape it to fit the hull or do they come ready to fit? are there any guidelines posted elsewhere how to do this?

Swiebertje
    Participant

Mine came ready made from Porter bros. It is screwed on with stainless self threading counter sunk screws. By drilling the holes extra deep I was able to finish the screw heads with hardwood plugs. The plugs were glued using PU construction glue (the type that foams). After sanding the plugs, the whole rubbing streak was coated once more with a layer of two pot varnish. And finally the gap left between the wood and the GRP was filled with white MS polymer (the same color as the gunwales). The sealant was applied top side only, for better looks. Because the bottom of the gap between the boat and the rubbing streak is left untreated, it can still dry after a sail.

If you rub down the still soft sealant with some thinner (toluene, xylene or stuff like that) and kitchen paper a nice looking straight line of sealant is easily obtained, just make sure the varnish has fully set before using thinner and paper. Hardwood plugs are available through most chandleries.

@JoJo wrote:

I am convinced – how do you get a hardwood rubbing strake

In case you’ve not seen it already, check out this thread –

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=881

Jonathan

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.