Latest News: Forums Technical Rowlocks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anyone know where I can get those top/flush mounted rowlock metal plates for a Mk2 fibreglass wayfarer.

I’ve seen flat oval ones on other boats…but can’t find anyone who stocks them. And while I’m at it where would I get some 8ft oars ?

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

You can get rowlocks and plates from many chandlers – decide whether you want galvanised, stainless steel, brass etc. and then pop the relevant description into Google. You’ll want to match the rowlocks to the oar/collar diameter.

Plastimo do a cheapish but strong wooden oar in various lengths including 2.40m (just under 8ft) called the “Britannia oar”. You wouldn’t want anything shorter for a Wayfarer (and a purist would probably cringe at both the length and the quality of these). My only quibble is that the collars are too far up the shaft, so forcing the rower to work with his/her arms a bit too far apart. This however becomes an advantage if two of you row together (one oar each) as John Mellor and I found at last year’s tidal training on the Sunday afternoon. I think you can get them in a slightly cheaper grade of pine without collars, enabling you to fit your own at a more suitable location.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for that –

its the top mounted rowlock plates I am having trouble finding – all chandlers round here and on the net seem to have the galvanised type with rectangular plates that are cut into the hull.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I fitted the galvanised rectangular type on a grp Wanderer and was concerned about the stresses around the fitting. Therefore I recessed them into some 8mm (ish) hardwood first to make a bigger fitting to spread the load (which is what you maybe concerned about). I actually surface mounted these plates over the existing (plastic and inadequate looking) rowlock hole, but removed them prior to selling the boat (not comfy to sit on and an easy gel coat repair). However if you are seriously going to row you do want strong enough fittings flush in the gunwhales. The best design I had seen was the galvanised type let into wood which is then resined/fibfegassed into the gunwhale flush. This is a long way of saying I bottled hacking into the gunwhales myself! Good luck with your choice. Dave

Anonymous
    Inactive

I dought my oars from Gael Force Marine. Cheapest I could find. The finish is not fantastic on the varnish and paint but is perfectly adequate.

Martyn

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.