Latest News: Forums Technical Roll tacking demonstrated by Michael McNamara

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    nickgiles
    Participant

While “virtual sailing” on the Forum I came across  brilliant footage of MM demonstrating roll tacking and 360s. I wanted to study it again but can’t find it.  Does anyone know where it is posted?

Many thanks.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

I’ve seen some footage of MM demonstrating this in an Albacore. Is that what you watched, Nick?

apple
    Participant

Hi Nick,

This might be what you are looking for – Its Michael roll tacking and gybing an Albacore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHx2weNUwDA

Remember that when roll tacking and gybing, you must not come out of the tack or gybe with more speed that you went in with.  The rule states: A boat’s crew may move their bodies to exaggerate the rolling that facilitates steering the boat through a tack or a gybe, provided that, just after the tack or gybe is completed, the boat’s speed is not greater than it would have been in the absence of the tack or gybe

I hope that helps!

Trevor

Apple, 7110, East Down YC.

nickgiles
    Participant

Thank you Dave and Trevor  for your replies and the footage.  Very useful to be able to see it in slow motion. However it was not the sequence I found in which Michael was in a Wayfarer demonstrating, possibly at a Cruising Conference and responding to requests from spectators on the bank/jetty. The particular point that Michael was emphasizing was that one didn’t need to use the rudder to go about as it slows the boat down. Something to attempt in 2017! Many thanks again.

nickgiles
    Participant

If at first …. so I googled it and it is at Wayfarer Tips and Tricks with Michael McNamara. Brilliant!

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Well done Nick!

Here it is in case anyone else wants to watch too:-

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.