Latest News: Forums Technical Rivets for New Spreader Bracket Set-up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    SeaHolly

I am about to place an order for a new spreader bracket (old one is bent tooo badly to rely on straightening) and wanted some advice re rivets.

When I replaced my boom end, I was advised not to worry about Monel rivets as the part in question would be under compresion and therefore softer aluminium rivets would be fine (I actually took Swiebertje’s advice and went for screws in the end).

Given the load on the spreaders, is this the time to use the monel option, or do I simply stick with aluminium.

Kind regards,

Swiebertje
    Participant

I am not sure, but the spreaders only compress the mast hence Aluminium rivets would be good enough. But when ever I am not sure I tend to use Monel, just for some peace of mind.

Stupid spelling checker, it wants to change Aluminium to Aluminum on a UK web-site…..

Fantasia

I guess that aluminium rivets would technically be fine as both the mast and rivets would be of the same material. Avoid stainless steel rivets or screws as they would react electrolytically with the mast. I would not take the risk and use anything other than monel rivets (which are almost inert). Don’t spoil the ship for a ha’pence of tar.

Good luck, John

Sea Lancer

When Humphrey Davy discovered the element he called it “alumium” and then later “aluminum”. The name ending was later changed to conform with other metalic elements. Except in America? Spotter?

Swiebertje
    Participant

I always use Duralac if two or more metals are involved, even with Monel rivets. Stainless steel parts come of remarkably clean when Duralac was used. AFAIK, every Marine chandler stocks Duralac or a similar material from another brand.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.