Latest News: Forums Technical Rig tension

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • AUTHOR
    martins

Hi there – I’ve got a Mk II GRP Wayfarer that currently uses a highfield lever to tension the rig and I’m struggling to get more then around 250 – 260 lbs on the shrouds.

The, sheaves in the mast foot are currently less then perfect (ok, seized) and these will be replaced but I’m wondering if anyone has converted a boat of similar age (1987) / construction to a cascade system and if so, has it survived with the higher tensions available from this approach….??

Regards
    Martin

Swiebertje
    Participant

@martins wrote:

I’m wondering if anyone has converted a boat of similar age (1987) / construction to a cascade system and if so, has it survived with the higher tensions available from this approach….??

I have done this on a much older MK2. A wayfarer is a strong boat and nothing has ever been changed to the basic strength of the design.

You can test using your current set-up: While still ashore, have your crew pull the fore-stay hard forward while bracing with his/her feet against the bow or against the trolley handles while you set the high-field lever. That way you can get as much tension on the rig as with any other system. The only disadvantage of a high field lever is you can’t (re-)set it while sailing, but unless you sail in the top 20 of the fleet there is not much need to change the rig tension continuously.

Ohw, and mind your fingers!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.