Latest News: Forums Technical Restoring texture to decks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all, just bought my first (rather secondhand) Wayfarer and I look forward to joining you all on the racing and cruising circuit.

But first I have to do some repairs and I have had to grind back part of the deck to fix a rather nasty star-craze ding complete with hole just forward of the main track on the starboard side deck (right on the edge).

I am happy with the techniques to patch the hole from underneath and build back up with epoxy and woven mat, but I am wondering how to make an invisible mend where the textured bit has been replaced. Anyone got any ideas?

Anonymous
    Inactive

How about making a mold on a similar piece of deck using release agent and then using the mold to effect the repair.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yup I thought of that too. I see there are some rubbery materials you can use to take casts from parts of your body (!) but apparently they start to crumble within a day or so (more !).

I am a bit nervous that the mould will not come off the deck. Using epoxy is ok but it makes a very fine glue. Maybe use polyester resin…

The other problem is that the deck was a kinda golden yellow but it has faded to somewhere between french and english mustard colour, more like dull orange. Anyone any suggestions for products to bring her true colour back?

Swiebertje
    Participant

Finish the top layer with a gel coat repair kit mixed with pigments to match the existing colour. Use old fashioned glazing putty to copy the deck structure from an undamaged part to the still wet gel coat.

My experience is that the colour is very hard to match on old boats that have been subjected to UV. In that case there is always the solution to paint the whole deck with two pot paint after the repairs are done. One pot paint could be used (easier to apply) on spots that are not mechanically stressed (walked over), but you certainly don’t want two sorts of paint on the same deck. So, stick top two pot paint.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The putty is a really good idea Swiebertje, that will not stick to the resin and will conform to the shape (it will give a bit to match), thanks.

I too think painting is the only solution, maybe next year, I have not been out sailing in her yet!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.