Latest News: Forums General Restoring/ polishing GRP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

My boat’s getting to that magic stage where there’s a shaded colour difference between the topsides where they’re protected by the cover and the area below. No doubt high winter UV is compounding the problem. The gloss is still there, though.
    I realise that I’m probably fighting a rearguard action, but if any member(s) can advise on materials/products/methods to improve her appearance and perhaps prevent further decline, I’d be very grateful.

Swiebertje
    Participant

Paint.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Aaaarrgh! 😥 That has to be the worst-case scenario. At that point I’d have to ask myself whether the costs and benefits might somewhat unevenly balanced. Past experience indicates that such labours of love can easily become a burden.
    Thanks for the unequivocal response, though.

I’d welcome any other relevant views.

John1162

Farecla G3 paste or liquid is used by proffesionals to shine up GRP. It is designed for use on cars but works well on GRP and two pack epoxy finishes. It gets rid of grime and staining but is expensive and may not bring the colour back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A56acHlFQ8

Use the above for a demo of how to use.

Swiebertje
    Participant

No, seriously. Products to buff up the gell coat generally don’t last very long, at best a year. And the really good ones are expensive as John pointed out. Perhaps as expensive as good quality two pot paint?

And think of all the work buffing up the hull? Isn’t that just about as much work as sanding her in preparation of a paint job? A good two-pot paint will last many years and not just a few months. Unless there are other things to repair I don’t see why a paint job is harder to do then a good polishing job.

Ask a good friend and a tote of beer to help you and it will be fun.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

We live in a country where its hard to get the right temperature and humiditity or costs lots to get it so, fuel bills!!

Not all of us are good at painting and if you dont get it right you may have to resort too polishing it anyway.

If the colour has gone then a paint job will be the only way but if you can put up with that then polishing is a lot easier, cheaper and can be done in a not so good surrounding.

C P 🙂

sailfree

Dependant on the colour you can try Farcela compound for GRP then try colour restorer polish. Sucess depends on how well the colour of the restorer polish matches the original colour.

Lot of elbow grease but should not cost too much. Using a proper electric polisher will help but beware you can soon go so hard as to cut through the gel coat.

Anonymous
    Inactive

As Mr. Parkstone guessed, I’m limited by the conditions in God’s Big Workshop: variable humidity, temperature and illumination, and a population of little creatures intent on entombing themselves in fresh two-pack. And why are the ideal boat-fettling conditions perfect for sailing…?

That really is the nub of the issue. The points in favour of painting are absolutely valid, but I don’t think paint’s an option for the coming season, at least. If I can bring the finish back up, I suppose an under-cover or adding a deep valance to the existing cover would cost about the same as the paint, anyway

So far, it would seem that Farecla is the stuff to use, but please tell me more about ‘coloured’ polishes.

Dave Bevan

I have a tube of Farecla that I bought to try and polish out some oxidisation on our blue MKII. After a brief attempt by hand which gave some improvement, I decided that it was only cosmetic, and left it as-is.

We sold the boat last year, and I hope I won’t need it on our new boat, so if you’re still up for the job, send me a PM with your contact details, and you can have my tube for a small donation + postage.

I agree with Sailfree – doing by hand isn’t an option

Swiebertje
    Participant

Beware!

Some polyester reviving products are silicone oil based. That means that after using such products you can never ever paint your boat again.

Before using it, read the instructions carefully. Visit the manufacturers web site for more elaborate instructions. Google for DIY forums with real user experiences or ask for it on those forums.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.