Latest News: Forums Technical Replacing plastic self bailers in a Mk4

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 month ago by Kez.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Kez
    Participant

Has anyone replaced their leaky black plastic (Super Shute?) self- bailers with Anderson’s?

I understand from Hartleys that the holes through the hull have to be reduced in size to fit and whilst I can imagine a couple of ways to do this it would be good to hear from someone who has done it.

I could imagine fixing a flat waxed blank on the outside of the hull (how?), then after grinding the inside hull surface inside of the self-bailer well (how?) then laying in a couple of pieces of cloth with epoxy on the waxed blank overlapping the bottom of the self-bailers well before cutting the new holes.

How to not end up with a mess, a nice flat surface inside and a flush fit (Anderson bailers are designed for quite a thick hull construction)?

Kez
    Participant

Obviously (?) I meant replacing them with the stainless steel SBs…

Kez
    Participant

Ok I have looked at previous posts on the topic, there are quite a few but no one seems to have actually done the change from plastic Supershutes to stainless Andersen/Elvstrom.  Lots of references to the holes being too big, bolt-holes not lining up and Hartleys have come back to me today to say the job is quite difficult and should be done by a boatbuilder…  Hmmm.

So, anyone?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.