Latest News: Forums Technical Replacement of foam seal for front and rear buoyancy

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sylvain Caro 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AUTHOR

Sylvain Caro
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I want to replace the foam seal that ensures the waterproofing of the front and rear buoyancy tanks of my Wayfarer Mk1 GRP (W3380, built in 1973), but I do not know what reference of foam is necessary, or where it is possible to find it…

Has someone already done this replacement and could help me?

Thank you in advance!

Very cordially,

Sylvain Caro, Bordeaux, France

Daniel Wetzel
    Participant

Taco Metals V30-0748B8-2    1/4 X 3/4 X 8′ Hatch Tape

https://www.amazon.com/Taco-Metals-V30-0748B8-2-Hatch-Tape/dp/B011387EPG

Dan Wetzel

S. Burlington, VT : W 8020

Sylvain Caro
    Participant

Hi Dan, many thanks for your answer, but this foam looks very much thinner than the foam I have…

And they don’t deliver in France… 🙁

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Sylvain,

I used a product from a UK company, Seals Direct – http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=1#15

The link should take you to the section “Plain Expanded Neoprene – Strip”, and you can then select the correct width and thickness. Delivery to France is available for about €8 (look under “General Information” at the top of their web page).

Good luck!

Sylvain Caro
    Participant

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your answer, I’ll make some measure to be sure, but it looks perfect!

(but I didn’t think this kind of foam was so expensive wow :-p )

Thanks again, and have a good evning!

Sylvain

Sylvain Caro
    Participant

Hi Dave,

I received the foam I bought in the website you indicated to me, it looks perfect, I’ll put it on mu boat tomorrow.
    Many thanks to you!
    Sylvain

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

That’s good Sylvain – send a photo if you think of it!

Sylvain Caro
    Participant

A photo of my W3380?
    If yes, here it is 🙂
    They were taken during the first launch since the 08 of october, the date I bought it.
    It was on a lake near from my home, with great weather, nice water (cold this year… for a French guy 😀 ) and great sand underwater ground…

Sylvain Caro
    Participant

(I’m not on the photos, you can see my cousins and sister in law, and only my feets on the photo who presents the makeshift pole!)

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Actually I meant a photo of the new foam fitted to the hatches, but it’s always interesting to see other people’s boats and sailing areas!

Sylvain Caro
    Participant

Hahaha sorry my english is approximative, and I thought you waere another “Dave” I talked with by mail some weeks ago!
    I hadn’t time to replace the foam, but I hope to do it tomorow if the weather wants to stay great…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.