Latest News: Forums General Replacement Bamber launching trolley

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    revoli

My Bamber launch trolley needs replacing but these are no longer produced by Bamber who were bought out of receivership by West Mercia trailers last year. There must be a few people around in similar situation – has anyone either found a trolley that fits, found someone to make one or found an alternative to a new base and trolley combo? West Mercia suggested a new Combo but I am loathe to bin a perfectly good base.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

If you still have a perfectly good roadbase you are in a similar situation to us a couple of months ago.

We had one made from scratch, galvanised and fitted-out, for not much more than an off-the-shelf trolley from some of the usual suppliers, with the bonus that it was made to fit our (unknown make) trailer.

Having said that, the Wayfarer trollies at Trident UK look extremely good value just now at £216 including delivery, if they happened to fit…

Davdor7038

Alternatively, why not get your original trolley repaired ? A local welder could probably do the job for a lot less than the cost of buying a new one. I had to modify the launching trolley that came with my boat to fit the road base. After cutting, narrowing and rewelding, I sprayed the heck out of the welded joints with galvanized spray. And, touch wood, no problems yet. A good local welder wil produce joints every bit as strong as a factory produced item. Regards, Davdor.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Obviously it depends on the condition of the current trolley and the kind of use it’s going to get, but our experience of repairs is less successful, with significant deterioration due to rust after 4 or 5 years on a previous trolley.

Swiebertje
    Participant

If it is a simple fix yes. But as soon as it becomes more complex you have to take in to account that galvanised steel is very hard to weld. Oft times you end up with having to remove the galvanisation layer by hand because power tools ‘bite’ through the thin walled pipes too quickly. Since the zinc, unlike paint, is not a layer on top the metal but it infuses the metal, you will have to file/sand some of the iron off as well. The seemingly simple job now has become hours of filing and sanding and involves lots of elbow grease. And then there is the sea water that may have ‘eaten’ away much of the iron forcing us to replace entire sections of piping. Note that sea water often hits the pipes from the inside where they are not galvanised. This is damage you don’t see on the outside. New pipes are then welded to already damaged (sea water) and galvanised parts. Taking the amount of labour involved it is easy to see why a new trolley is much more cost effective. (Note that a new trolley is galvanised after it has been welded together. This makes the job much easier for a welder).

But why not ask your trolley builder (local welder) for a quote? AFAIK quotes are still free of charge. And trolley construction is no rocket science.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.