Latest News: Forums Technical Renovation

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • AUTHOR
    David Vella
    Participant

So, as promised, here we start with questions….

My Boat (Mk2 composite) is currently undergoing restoration: Main thing is the wooden decks which are being taken care of very well.

I am also awaiting pricing for GRP repairs: scuff(s) on the hull, and some osmosis on top of the hatch. The GRP  repairs is something I can actually do myself to an extend, perhaps with a bit of swearing, but if the quote is reasonable I’ll happily pay someone else to do it and save myself time and nerves.

Moving on I am wondering what other, perhaps safety-critical aspects to look into? Gaskets perhaps? How many? Where and how?

I am aware of the hatch gasket, which  will likely be replaced with some weather strip. I suspect the self-bailer gaskets might need looking at… they seem reasonably priced. I seem to remember the bailers are Andersens but I will need to have a better look next time I’m with the boat.

Any other safety-critical things I should be checking before she goes in the water for the first time in 20 years?

john1162
    Participant

Hatch seals are vital. Take your centreboard out and refurbish it after checking for cracks.  Rudders and their fixings are a weak point so check the pintles are firmly fastened on. The inside wood support for the pintles next to the keel can go soft so again check.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.