Latest News: Forums Technical removing furler

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

i would like to have the option of removing the furler for racing (and putting it back for family hols). how do i work out how much extra wire strop i need for this and do i need to make any adjustments in the muscle box tension?

any tips?

Remove the furler and keep the same jib? Or remove the furler plus jib and replace with a racing sail?

The furler must lift the tack of the jib. Has the furling jib been cut differently to allow for this? Generally racing boats will try to get the tack and foot as close to the deck as possible.
    Changing (lowering) the height of the tack would alter the height of the clew, and therefore the angle of the jib sheets, and therefore the jib sheet lead will need to be moved forward to keep the same optimum angle.

If you are changing the jib, then the halyard length could well change anyway….

Anonymous
    Inactive

the racing genoa i have hasn’t been cut to accommodate the furler as far as i’m aware. it’s a macnamara racing sail. i think the furler was added afterwards. the guy i bought the boat from couldn’t find the wire strop to give the added length as he never bothered to remove the furler. i believe he said it was a couple of inches but i’d like to get the sail set up properly.

thanks for any help!

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Richard,

The length of the strop (or whatever you decide to use) will presumably be the same as the height of the furling drum, including any special fixings that enable it to fit onto the boat.

With the furler still in place, measure the separation between the genoa tack fitting (cringle etc) and the bow fitting, then remember to deduct from that length an allowance for any shackle or whatever you will use to fit the strop to the top of the sail.

The strop will be quite short! It may also be worth getting another, longer strop made up for any smaller jib that you own while the measurements are fresh in your mind?

If your measurements are correct the muscle box will work exactly the same whichever foresail arrangement you are using – that’s the main reason for using the strop.

Rather than make up a strop, you might find that a chain plate (as used for the shrouds on many boats) gives adequate height, as well as being adjustable in case you have got the length wrong.

Swiebertje
    Participant

@Dave Barker wrote:

The length of the strop (or whatever you decide to use) will presumably be the same as the height of the furling drum, including any special fixings that enable it to fit onto the boat.

Please allow me to make an addition:
    The height of the furling drum (hole to hole) PLUS the height of the top swivel (hole to hole). 😉

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

I stand corrected. 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.