Latest News: Forums Technical Refurbishment questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am just starting to refurbish my composite W3367. The boat is in excellent condition, but the varnish has gone brittle and is flaking off in large sheets. Stripping off with the use of a heat gun seems to be quite quick. What should I revarnish with, presumably a 2 pot system? I have removed nearly all of the fittings, most of which were secured with brass screws, which have corroded and some of which snapped. The hardest thing to remove was the traveller which was held on with stainless screws which had welded themselves to the aluminium track. Any tips would be welcome, I realise that this will be a big job.

I was thinking of converting to a bridle/centre main system, I have the old Proctor gold spars with a C section boom, will this be strong enough for a centre sheet system? If I buy a new boom presumably the gooseneck will not be compatible with the old one?

I am sure I will have more questions as the job progresses.

Phil.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Phil,

I would definitely recommend using epoxy before varnishing, if you’re going right back to the wood. You can apply it with a brush or a roller, just brushing out afterwards. Because it doesn’t dry by solvent evaporation it’s easier than traditional varnish or paint in many ways. The first coat will be partially absorbed by the wood, and should bond really well with it. After about 3 coats (preferably reapplied while the previous coat is just tacky) you can rub it down with wet and dry paper (used wet to minimise dust clogging and remove any blush) to leave a really nice even surface for the varnish, which will give UV protection to the epoxy.

I’m afraid I have no experience with gold spars.

I hope it all goes well for you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.