Latest News: Forums Technical Refurb

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m carrying out a bit of sprucing work on my boat. So a few queries.

1. What wood for new benches?
    2. Where can I buy new rubbing strakes?
    3. Online fibreglass supplier?
    4. What paints do we recommend for inside and the hull and decks?

Please bear in mind, I’m doing this on a tight budget.

Martyn

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

1, Any hardwood !
    2,Make it yourself from a tree, any tree will do,!
    3,?
    4, Sorry Martyn but this is boating and water only dislikes the exspensive stuff !

C P 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice and succinct Colin. Thanks.

Martyn

admin

As regards the suppliers I am sure there are many good ones out there but I have been happy with the service I have had from CFS here: http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/ also to be found on 01209 821028.

They do West epoxy and International paint, all the solvents and core materials you need and they offer a three day slow delivery or a 1 day fast service (for a small premium). There are helpful people on the end of the phone to give you advice too.

I am interested in views on what paint to use on the floorboards, which have to be a little bit flexible as well as resistant to abrasion, water and salt as well as give a bit of grip. As has been observed you spend an awful lot of money on paint and stuff for a boat, but the floor boards come out quite easily so i would have thought that a treatment that needs an occasional rub-down and re-coat should be ok.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Swiebertje
    Participant

@Mike Summers wrote:

I am interested in views on what paint to use on the floorboards, which have to be a little bit flexible as well as resistant to abrasion, water and salt as well as give a bit of grip. As has been observed you spend an awful lot of money on paint and stuff for a boat, but the floor boards come out quite easily so i would have thought that a treatment that needs an occasional rub-down and re-coat should be ok.

Any thoughts?

See: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=355&p=1674#p1674

admin

Thanks Swiebertje, I wonder why you think 2 pot paint is the best, I was thinking about using garage floor (one pot) paint.

I have heard of people scattering sugar on wet paint then dissolving it to leave little craters where the sugar was, painting it again to smooth off any sharp edges. I don’t want to be fighting off wasps though so maybe sand is better. My boards are both in two pieces so I shall be looking to reinforce them with battens on the underside as you describe.

I don’t suppose it is feasible for you in the Netherlands but it is Beaulieu Boat Jumble this Sunday, thoroughly recommended for anyone looking for odd fittings and cans of paint and varnish at knock down prices.

Mike

I have just re-painted the bilges (under the floorboards) and for that i used international Danboline , i dont know if you could use this paint for floor boards , if not the the same company have a good selection of paints and i am sure that they do a non slip deck paint that would probably be good for the fb

Swiebertje
    Participant

@Mike Summers wrote:

Thanks Swiebertje, I wonder why you think 2 pot paint is the best, I was thinking about using garage floor (one pot) paint.

Because two pot paint is more durable then most other marine paints. Keep in mind that the floorboards are a surface we walk and work on in contrast to, for example, the bilges. The floor boards have to cope with much greater mechanical stresses than other parts of the hull.

I know that garage floor paint is very durable. The paint I have in my garage (Her Majesty’s color) has tanks drive over it without much problems (not in my garage). Concrete however is a much stiffer and more porous surface than our floorboards. I have no idea how concrete paint behaves on our floppy floor boards. If it gets rock hard it may chip off but it may be a solution just as good as marine two pot, I don’t know.

My advice comes from personal experience (and from Ian Porter). I would never give an advice on this board unless I am sure it works. I have used some unusual paints but only time can tell if they work. I would not feel comfortable giving those solutions as advice to others.
    Other sailors may have yet more good solutions that I don’t know about. That is the beauty of this bulletin board.

Bilges:
    Why anyone would want to paint the bilges is beyond me. Nobody ever sees them. Why waste good money on them?

Algol

My floorboards are painted with that non-slip paint – the stuff with grit in it. They’re due a repaint and I’ll use the same stuff. I wouldn’t think of using anything else because I think I need the grip when moving from one side of a heeling, wet boat to the other

Pete Lock

I used International Danboline for the Bilges and international Non-slip Deck paint for the floor boards. Probably not the cheapest option.

Rubbing Strake, either hard wood Iroko or Teak. Trident UK do a rubber replacement which can be glued or screwed. My Wayfarer had the rubber type fitted up to last autumn, but was falling apart so I am planning to replace it with wood as part of the refurbishment.

Pete

pete

we have used the same paints for our boats , agreed it was on the pricy siide , but in the end how much danboline did you use for your bilges ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just re-done my floorboards with Hemple enamel with their pearl grip additive. For the fhe first coat I included the additive, this dried with an extremely rough gritty surface with uneven gloss/matt patches even though the pearls didnt seem to have bunched up. I then recoated with pure enamel as a top coat without using any more pearls. This seems to have sealed it nicely and the result is a consistent colour and finish, not glossy and not matt but with loads of grip without being sharp or gritty. It remains to be seen how well this will last but I’m pleased with the result so far. 750ml and a third of a pot of pearls was plenty for the topsides and gives me plenty left over for touch ups later. The underneath of my boards are varnished and easy to clean and see the condition of the wood so I didnt paint those.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.