Latest News: Forums Technical Refinishing a centreboard – what’s on your foil?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR
    gvjones

I’m just about to paint/varnish my c/b after a winter renovation. Whilst awestruck by the finish obtainable with glass fibre epoxy sheathing & lots of time dedication and skill as demoed on the Wayfarer International site – http://www.wayfarer-international.org/WIT/maint.repair.ref/CB.rudder/finishingCB.pdf
    I just don’t have enough of those three commodities!
    What’s “second best” – ordinary yacht varnish? 2 pack? trad paint & primer? what do you use?

Swiebertje
    Participant

@gvjones wrote:

I’m just about to paint/varnish my c/b after a winter renovation. Whilst awestruck by the finish obtainable with glass fibre epoxy sheathing & lots of time dedication and skill as demoed on the Wayfarer International site

Skil: None, I learned as I went along. It was the first time I worked with these materials. (I am a system architect and project manager by profession).

Time: 45 minutes a day for 10 days.

Dedication: It took more to write the essay, process the pictures, etc.

As others will agree, glassing makes the board so much stronger and durable. Trust me, you will regret the day you decided not to glass it after you break yours and have to negotiate a new laminated racing board with Porters… (Have a quick peak at their on line price list).
    Just stick to the instructions on the packages and use what ever tips and tricks you find on the web. If all else fails, ask this forum.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use primer and white yacht paint

White so I can see weed, and ordinary paint rather than two pack for easy repair.

Smooth finish is the aim, with most time spent with ever finer sand paper.

I would love a professional item, with eye catching laminations and epoxy, but know I would mark or damage it.

I would probably even think twice of climbing on it after a capsize, which seems to do most damage,

Roger

Fantasia

I recently stripped my mahogany strip-laminated board back to the wood as it had become oversize and failed a measurement (21mm thickness max). After repairs i recoated first with one coat of West System epoxy and then 6-8 coats of two pack polyurethane paint. All applied with a small foam gloss roller and sanding every other coat. Overall finish is very good and should be durable.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I too have just taken my centreboard out for winter refurbishing. I would like to follow the advice on the Wayfarer International site and laminte the wooden board in glass fibre, especially after reading Swiebertje’s response (I hope I’ve got plenty of time, since it’s only October 😉 ).

I was interested in John Hartley’s reply about the board thickness, since I would like the finshed board to pass a measurement and fit in the box! Can someone please tell me the recommend method to measure the centreboard thickness; and what is the recommend thickness of the wooden board before adding the laminate?

Kind Regards
    Ken Barker
    W3016

Fantasia

Pre-painting I reduced the thickness of my board to 19.3mm. by putting it through a friend’s sander/thicknesser which is a highly accurate machine and ensures flatness. I did not sheath with glass, but after epoxy and paint the thickness was still under 20mm. I measure the thickness with a set of digital calipers with good length arms. I would guess that you should allow 1.0 – 1.5mm. for the full process.

Good luck.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the information and advice John.

You are lucky to have a friend who’d let you use their sander/thicknesser. I asked about using one at my local timber yard but they were not prepared to put it through their machine. So I guess I’ll just have to be careful with my belt sander…

Thanks again
    Ken

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.