Latest News: Forums Technical Reefing points (2)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello all,

Having just purchased my Mk2 complete with 3 sets of sails I’ve come to the conclusion that I need at least one main that I can reef.

This was brought about by the lack of reefing ability being used as a reason not to go out today by my crew. (She did have a point, it was gusting F6, we’ve never sailed together before and I’ve never been out in a Wayfarer!)

To prevent this feeble excuse being used again I now need to find a sailmaker.

I live near Hamble and was wondering which sailmaker(s) are popular with the Warsah fleet?

As for modifying the boom to take the lines, I think I’ve figured it out from other topics, but any advice would be welcome. As far as I know everything is original from build.

Many thanks

Bob Harland
    Participant

Any sailmaker will be able to put in reefing points, but few will know where to put them.
    My recommendation is 2 sets at 1m and 2 m above the foot of the sail.
    Assuming you have a jib in your wardrobe – and you must have a jib or a proper headsail reefing system – set jib plus 1 reef at F4/5, jib + 2nd reef at F5/6.

Oh yes, and don’t ever beat with a genoa and a reefed main – that’s asking for trouble.

tnb

You could try Banks sails, http://www.banks.co.uk . They make Wayfarer sails so should know where to put the reefing points. A couple of the Warsash wayfarers used to work for them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all, and particularly Bob! Just catching up after the holiday. Your implication is to go from genoa to jib before reefing the main,particularly if beating. Do you or anyone recommend any particular quick release/connect fittings to enable an easy change-over of sails up front (pins and split rings and ordinary shackles are a bit fiddly (costly when dropped) out on the water).
    Secondly (and as a real amateur) I struggle to keep my reefing lines neatly coiled, does anyone use those little pockets or can anyone suggest a good ropework website. Thanks for any answers.
    cheers Dave

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave,
    Any decent quality spring hook or snapshackle will do the job. Do you have roller furling? If so make sure the hook or whatever will fit the jaws.
    I got a small halyard bag thing from the dinghy show that I fixed to the boom to take reefing lines – very worthwhile.

What tension does the fore-halyard have on it? I found a good small release shackle for changing the tack of the jib/genoa that means I do not have to shorten the wire halyard but can still use the furling mechanism(having nearly dropped the pin overboard when changing a sail mid cruise). The snaplink is rated to 400kg – is this enough do you think?

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

The static tension on the rigging should be well under 200kg. In a dynamic situation, taking into account waves, gusts etc there may be considerably more. If the SWL is rated as 400kg that’s one thing, but if the breaking strain is 400kg you’re uncomfortably close. It has to be your decision.

In general, most boats (Enterprises, RS400’s, Wayfarers) have a maximum of 400lbs tension on the shrouds / jib halyard.

When first using a tension gauge, I missed read the gauge and tried to apply 400Kg of tension, rather than 400lbs. I found that with the right rig tensioning system this was almost possible to do, but not quite. It did cause LOTS of creaking and groaning of the fittings! (which then continued to work happily for the next 3 years until I sold the boat).

So, something rated to 400Kg, should be able to handle the pressures.

ADDED LATER:
    Pulling a jib up hard just using a halyard, will give about 100lb tension.
    Using a highfield lever, and just managing to push the lever up, will be about 200lbs.
    Using a Highfield lever, and pushing the mast forward or pulling the forestay back at the same time as you push the lever up, could give you 300lbs.
    A Highfield lever, with the crew pulling the forestay forward HARD with a foot on the bow, could give you 400lbs.
    A decent 8-1 purchase on the end of the jib halyard, and pulling as hard as you can, could give you 500lbs.

All of them are less than 400Kg!

Thank you. It does make for easier setting up and sail changes, especially on the move!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.