Latest News: Forums Technical Recommend a sailmaker?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    admin

Hi I have been quoted £75 per row to put cringles in for reefing, £140 for two. I think that’s a little steep.

Has anyone had a good experience with a sailmaker in the South East (I live in Wests Sussex) and can recommend their service?

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Try Banks Sails Ltd, 01489 582444, Sarisbury, Southampton, SO317ZA

I had two rows of reefs put in by Mike McNamara, I think the total inc postage came to a little under £100. But that was a couple of years ago.
    Have you decided what depth of reefs you want?

Swiebertje
    Participant

It is not just a matter of putting a row of cringles in. The luff and leech need several layers of re-enforcement sewn on, similar to the existing clew and tack of your sail. And the reef points need patches of cloth to re-enforce them too. Given the time spent to do the cutting and sewing £75 seems quite reasonable. You could add just cringles, a sail maker usually charges £3 to £4 each, including riveting them, but I suspect any reputable sail maker will be unwilling to help you, unless you allow him to do a proper job.

Or as only the English language can express is: Don’t be penny wise and pound foolish.

nickgiles
    Participant

@Mike Summers wrote:

Hi I have been quoted £75 per row to put cringles in for reefing, £140 for two. I think that’s a little steep.

Has anyone had a good experience with a sailmaker in the South East (I live in Wests Sussex) and can recommend their service?

Hi, We found Banks Sails (Southampton) to be very helpful and reasonable. Ralph Roberts suggested putting an extra cringle in the line 5-10cm from the luff to help tidy up the loose sail when reefed. We have adopted his system of short lengths of shock cord threaded through each hole with a Tyga clip on one side of the sail and a small Parrel bead on the other as a way of securing the loose sail. Simple neat and won’t get hooked up in the rigging. Good luck!Nick Giles, LizzieB

admin

Thanks for the advice all,and yes Swiebertje I do recognise that patches have to be sewn in. It makes you wonder whether it would not be more cost effective to buy a new sail with the cringles already in. But my main is still quite new so I guess I will go ahead.

I will get quotes from Mike McNamara and Banks Sails and let you know how they turn out.

Best Ones

Mike

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.