Latest News: Forums Technical Rear Bench Seats

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Roger
    Participant

Hi everyone and a Happy New Year

For the last few years I’ve been using my boat for both racing and cruising without the rear benches as it’s impossible to fit them with the cleats fixed to the thwart where the forward end of the benches would normally rest.

I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem,and how they were able to overcome it?

Roger

Swiebertje
    Participant

I have no cleats in that area so I am curious which cleats that would be?
    Maybe you can post a picture?

Roger
    Participant

These are the cleats for the jib and genoa just to the rear of the forward benches and screwed to the outer ends of the thwart.

I’ll try and load a picture tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply,

Roger

admin

For what it is worth, here is a photograph of the thwart on Kez, my Mk II.

The genoa sheets come to tracks set between the slats of the front bench although I have subsequently moved them so they are screwed direct onto the innner edge of the outer slat as I found the strain on the bolts fixing the piece of timber onto which they were fixed was causing the quite substantial bolts to bend. I am seriously considering fixing some “cruising” genoa fairleads and cleats on the side decks so that I can remove the cars from the tracks and thus make the forward benchs rather more comfortable for the crew when on an expedition.

You can also see that I have brought the kicker up through a pair of those inclined base cam-cleats just inboard of the side benches, thus I have kept my options open whether I fit the rear benches or not. Unfortunately the kicker was not run when I took the photograph but you can see the cam-cleats in the foreground. I find the benches get in the way a bit too much when racing but I am working towards a sleeping platfom and may want to fit them for cruising.

The tail of the kicker is brought aft to turning blocks which are a pair of cheek blocks bolted to two pieces of paxolin each screwed into a meaty timber laminated to the underside of the thwart close to the centreboard (one each side). There is space and mounting holes to fit another pair of cheek blocks if I decide to bring any other lines to the helmsman. It works quite well although the angle of pull is not quite right yet and I may fit a lacing eye or another turning block to improve this.

I would appreciate any feedback from those who know more than me on this subject.

Mike

Roger
    Participant

[attachment=1:182jsa6k]DSCF0054.JPG[/attachment:182jsa6k]Here are some pictures of the set up for the genoa and jib cleats. As you can see the sheet goes through a couple of pulleys before it reaches the cleat.The position of this fitting prevents the rear benches from being fitted.

I don’t want to alter the current set up as the boat performs very well to windward.

I think a possible solution would be to raise the swivel cleat on a small plinth(spacer)and cut out the end of the outer slat so that the bench fits around it. This cut-out would have the added benefit of providing a location for the bench.

Can you see any drawbacks to my plan?

Roger

Swiebertje
    Participant

The jammer you have is actually a centre main jammer, the sheave does not do much for the Genoa sheet. Maybe you should get rid of the device and put a cleat only on a pedestal positioned against the inside edge of the benches, across from the turning block on the gunwale?

Here is my solution
    [attachment=0:2da01k1v]DSCF5207small.jpg[/attachment:2da01k1v]
    The sheet comes from the Genoa, through the block on the track. Then to a ratchet cheek block on a slightly angled pedestal between the benches and from there across over the bench to a swivelling cleat. The swivelling cleat with a simple fairlead is nice for single handing but not really needed. Alternatively the cleat can be put on a wooden pedestal in the direction of pull. In your case perhaps between the bench planks? Also the cheek block can be replaced by a floating block on the gunwale like yours, or even a floating ratchet block. I made the pedestal from plywood, painted with two coats of two pot paint so it blends in with the rest of the boat. The positioning of the blocks and cleats is not important. As long as you leave the rail and the block on the rail in the same position the sailing characteristics won’t change.

Roger
    Participant

Yes the swivelling jammer is probably a little over the top but the set up is not a lot different from yours. It is nice to see that others thinking is not so different from mine,so I think I’ll do as I described earlier.

Thanks very much for your input chaps.

Swiebertje
    Participant

Hmmm, maybe this is stupid, but perhaps you can put the swivel jammer sideways on the gunwale, replacing the turning block?
    Else the swivel may just fit in the cross formed by the gap between the four planks if you turn the foot 45 degrees so that the screws are in the middle of the gaps. If that does not fit or the planks prevent the swivel from moving, a small plinth in that spot may help. But I assume that is what you already have in mind?

Roger
    Participant

I hadn’t thought of putting it on the gunwale. That’s really thinking outside the box if I may say so.

But I’ll offer it up tomorrow to see how it looks. However,I think I’ll end up doing as you describe in your last post,on the plinth somewhere between the planks

Many thanks,

Roger

tempest51

Roger,
    So how did you finally fix the hardware?

Roger
    Participant

I think it all worked pretty well. Looks nice and tidy(shipshape).

I’ll try and upload some pictures tomorrow.

Roger.

Roger
    Participant

Hear are some pictures of the final set-up.

PeterW3035

That looks good, I recall somewhere seeing a similar setup that brought the jib sheet across the boat so that it came easily to hand for single handed sailing.

Could the swivvel jammers be turned to accept the sheet to do this? or does anyone have a set up to aid a single hander?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.