Latest News: Forums Racing Racing events 2009

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • AUTHOR
    mudskipper

Interesting article in the current dinghy mag about turn-outs at events.

One of the main reasons cited for not going is the distance to the event – while this may appear obvious the article raises a number of other interesting points.

Does next year’s calendar look like it is going to take in venues with big (and active) and supportive Wayfarer fleets? Will the calendar encourage people out who have not been out and about much recently?

Just some thoughts before the calendar is finalised (and thanks to Mike and Steve for organising it).

Enjoyed (!) our bobbing at Upper Thames – what it lacked in wind it made up for in sociability.

bigal

I hear you will be coming to Shoreham at last for the Southerns – but will you ever leave once you have experienced the Shoreham ripples !!!

mudskipper

Assuming we manage to stay atop the ripples, we’ll start with a visit!

looking forward to it.

mckechnie

Tracey, we’ve tried to pick venues that have local Wayfarer fleets and they are known to be supportive. The ones that are fixed so far are: (a) the Inlands (Grafham) 30/31 May (b) Southerns (Shoreham) 27/28 June (c) Nationals (Falmouth) 8 – 15th August. Currently in discussion about the others at the moment.

mudskipper

Thanks Mike that sounds really good [esp. getting dates/destinations so soon].

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Mike and Steve, Thanks for the good work your doing to keepp the Racing going,hard job I am sure!!

Something that has crossed my mind, (No I have not lost it YET!!! )

Next year is the season for the Worlds Qualifiers, them being in England.

1) Do we need to have to Qualify for the Worlds.Should we have it open ?

2) Does the venue have a top number limit that would require us to have Qualification Events.

3)If we do not have Qualifiers, will the open circuit suffer in numbers as in the past it has been a good year for turnouts?

I put this on the forum to open it out for the members to make comment,what do we all think??

I myself have liked the way we have had to put in some effort to go to the Worlds,its been needed to help when a trip in a sponsored container had to be prioritised.

Also it does help the open curcuit as can be seen by the numbers in the past.

Give us your views,

CP 😀

in the past the ‘qualification’ year has certainly seen good racing at the open meetings and the need to do 3 from 5 etc

However I can see the benefit of having an easier qualification for the next worlds to ensure we get a good turn out at the worlds itself.

Perhaps we could also take into account club racing e.g. some one that does 1 open meeting and does 3 club series is still a keen racer who may enjoy going to the worlds.

Also one comment I hear frequently is that most people when they do travel seem to prefer to do at least 2 or 3 races a day.

anyrate sure this topic will be discussed further and obviuosly my views are partially due to not having enough time to go sailing full stop but am hoping to get more time on the water next year.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Neil, Your point of someones current sailing history is a good one, we are not all in a good position to travel to all the opens.

What concerned me was the Open Circuit may dwindle away if there is a reduced requirement from it??????????

The class also does a minimum of four races an open,any more and we may call it a “Starting Open “.

This coming Worlds will not have any problem filling up,this country has the biggest number of Wayfarers so the only problem may be the venues maximum number rule if there is one, “Mike or Steve ?????? “

More coments Please !!!

CP ❓ 💡

bigal

… and previous supporters of the far-flung worlds might also be considered to have some preference .

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe we could give points for every country driven through at past worlds.
    There and back to Denmark gives me 11 to start with.

roger

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Roger, Did you get lost going or coming home as your trip was made up of an odd number ??????

😆

C P 😀

mckechnie

Dear Colin,
    Just so that you’ve got a reply and this thread is not hanging in limbo, it is intended that we will dicuss the qualification for worlds 2010 matter at this weekend’s Excom meeting, but at the moment I can’t see any point in there being any qualification process at all for a Brit hosted worlds. For an overseas worlds yes, because there would be a restriction on the number of British entries. But for a Brit hosted Worlds we would surely want the biggest turnout we could possibly get, wouldn’t we? Let me know your thoughts.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Odd Number

Only went through Denmark once,

But England,France,Belgium,Holland and Germany were there and back

roger

mudskipper

While having a decent turnout for the event itself would obviously be good – surely it is also worth trying to encourage turnout between now and then.

Rather than having a predetermined number of boats from the off [other than an overall maximum because of venue constraints] how about having a minimum event attendance [eg 3 of the series or something] in what would then become the qualifying year. To just be able to show up without a bit of activity beforehand on the circuit seems a bit feeble – and while we obviously do this for entertainment we also do it for the competition.

mckechnie

We have discussed the qualification for the Worlds 2010 issue and believe that it is not really necessary for a GB hosted Worlds. We want it to be the biggest and best Wayfarer Worlds for a very long time and therefore wish to encourage entries from as far afield as possible to come and experience a Wayfarer World Championships at the 2012 Olympic Venue. Therefore there will be no specific qualification criteria for the 2010 Worlds and we would like as many Wayfarer sailors as possible to beg, borrow and ….. find a Wayfarer to come and race at Weymouth in July 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.