Latest News: Forums Racing Race Training

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR

I am pleased to confirm that Michael McNamara has agreed to lead the UKWA Race Training wekend at Datchet SC on 5 – 6 June which guarantees that it will be an extremely informative and enjoyable weekend. Please email racing@wayfarer.org.uk to reserve your place

What topics would you like Michael and the coaching team to cover during the weekend? Please post your comments here.

Talking of a ‘coaching team’, I am looking for gold fleet standard sailors to help Mike. Any volunteers?

Regards
    Steve

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

With a big fleet coming to the worlds, i would say we need to cover starting rules and mark rounding rules for just two to start.
    C P

@Colin Parkstone wrote:

With a big fleet coming to the worlds, i would say we need to cover starting rules and mark rounding rules for just two to start.
    C P

Thanks for this feedback, Colin. We will cover both topics in the class room and we also plan to run a series of short races thoughout the weekend which will give people plenty of practice at starting.

I agree that mark rounding priority for training and also for the rules seminar at the Worlds. The three boat length rule and mark room at the leeward mark can be cause of some stress in big fleets. We are talking to the Race Officer at Weymouth about having two leeward marks to give a choice about which one to round – if there looks like the danger of a raft forming at one mark, you can choose to go round the other!

Regards
    Steve

sailfree

For those that are a bit rusty and cant make the datchet weekend can anyone point to a simple explanation of the rules especially the significance of recent changes. Idealy Sailing Racing Rules for Dummies (with diagrams for those like me that struggle with long words!)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.