Latest News: Forums Racing PY without spi

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR

There are now 4 Wayfarers in the club. However, for the present most of them want to sail as a whitesail class.

A long time ago there used to be a standard handicap allowance in PY for boats sailing without a spinnaker when the class allowed one.

Does anybody have a suitable PY handicap for a “whitsail” Wayfarer

Gordon

Anonymous
    Inactive

IIRC you add 4% to the yardstick. However I think this is really intended for cruiser racing and whether you can legitimately do this with a dinghy is another matter.

At the very least I would guess you’d need the approval of the OOD / sailing committee. I don’t think you can simply turn up without a kite and “claim” a higher handicap.

I do have the advantage of being Hon Sec of the club and, as the only qualified National Judge, the resident rules nerd.

I would be proposing that boats can register for a sereis as a “whitesail” entry and benefit from the handicap allowance.

Gordon

SeaHolly

At my club, we race in a general handicap fleet, containing a huge variety of fast and slow handicap boats. For this, we have ratings for many classes, including different ratings for Wayfarers with and without Spinnakers. I have included the ratings used below, from which you will see that the 4% rule does not apply.

Wayfarer PN 1099
    Wayfarer No Spi PN 1109

Not sure if these are official, but if any one has any more accurate/official ratings I would be keenly interested (as a current white sail only racer!).

Kind regards,

Darren

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.