Latest News: Forums Cruising Pushing your limits learning fast

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    POSTS
  • #4334
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    Hi everyone I am brand new to Wayfarer sailing but I am an experienced sea kayaker. I have always found that practicing skills and extending yourself is vital to coping with real situations when they subsequently arise on trips. With this in mind my friend and I set off for a training session in Portland Harbour in over 30kts of wind. My plan was to see if we could reef if caught out in these sort of conditions. We would sail out, heave to, reef and continue on our way. We wore wetsuits and removed kit from the boat that might get loose in a capsize. First error of the day no bucket on board. So off we set way over powered and fighting to keep her upright, we were however screaming along and maintaining a degree of control. In clear water now and time to run the drill. We turned into wind, got the centerboard up backed the jib and set the rudder. First problem rears its head, the first reefing line came undone and needed rethreading. The boom was flapping about so much that this proved impossible. Now we couldnt reef at all so decided to tack and return to shore. The wind went up an extra gear at this point and we were now hopelessly overpowered. Easy decision go to just the main first. At this point the jib sheet refused to release ( the cleats are at the rear of the foredeck and are angled up slightly) With the boat heeled over my mate just could not get an upward pull on it to release it. In the next instant we rolled over. Now we are not tiny blokes but with us both on the centerboard it took a huge effort to get her back upright. We were now faced with getting back in. The side of the boat was towering above us. I tried entering over the stern but as soon as the wind blew she tipped over again. Both back on the centerboard we got her back up, hanging on the jib sheet. Thoughts of where the VHF was at this point brought the realisation it was in the stern lockker! As a kayaker no vhf on the person a cardinal sin. the boat was heeling with the wind and not comingup into wind. Not sure if this was because we were on the jib sheet or the tiller extension had jammed. The main sheet also seemed to have cleated itself. We needed a big effort now to get ourselves out of bother. My mate attempted to climb over the windward side, his weight not letting her go over again, I got a footin his ribs and between us we heaved him over the side. Things were looking up. No bucket now that wasnt good. I clambered in and we decide to sail just on the jib. Down with the main and we were away in a totally swamped boat. Mate suggested a gybe and back to the club, but I was for Keep it simple at this point just go for the new mariner. We couldnt point high enough so we gybed and ran for base. She sailed well considering she was full of water straight back to base.

    #10204
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    Once on shore we got the bucket and bailed her out. Lessons learned. Do not go out without the sail already reefed and do not get caught out late on the water. Reposition the jib cleats so they can be easily released. Carry a bucket or two always. Get a bigger pump the lift pump was hopeless. Keep that radio on the person. Train hard do it for real easy. Make sure you are with a trusted competent partner to practice like this, you need to be comfortable in the water under pressure. Did we learn a lot about the boat? massive yes. She did sail really well full of water with waves breaking over her sides. Got a real buzz at the same time. Push the limits extend yourself in controlled but not always totally safe conditions and improve. Cheers Steve.
    Having slept on yesterday, I am still not sure why the boat wasnt coming into wind when we were trying to right her. I wonder if we should have had a small drouge and deployed that. Perhaps that would have put her head to wind.
    Any ideas or the experience of others in similar situations would be appreciated. Cheers Steve.

    #10207
    tempest51
    Member

    Steve,
    Have you tried the Canadian Wayfarer site, it’s packed with info especially on capsizing…http://www.wayfarer-canada.org/

    #10211
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    Cheers Tempest will give it a look.

    #10212
    matoi
    Member

    Thanks for sharing the experience. I too like to test things in strong conditions. This summer rented a boat (not a W) and hired an instructor especially for this purpose… Had a chain of troubles happen on the second day, but thanks to everyones experience and calm attitude (especially the instructor’s) things were sorted out without much damage and we finally had a great sail.
    Did you have the genoa up or the small jib? If you had a genoa that would have been the first thing to replace if conditions looked like there might be some reefing needed.
    I too experienced the boat fall broadside to wind when it was supposed to stay hove to (under jib and reefed main). Perhaps beyond some wind strength some procedures don’t work any more as in the books?
    And by the way, I’ve found sailing under main only to be a bad thing. Foresail only yes – if there’s searoom downwind.
    Cheers!
    m
    P.S. One of the most experienced and renown W cruisers started as a kayaker before getting himself into sailing…

    #10215
    matoi
    Member

    Ok, here’s my summer event, for your amusement even though it’s only indirectly connected to Wayfarering….

    There were three of us: my brother, a hired instructor and myself. The instructor is a young guy, but very experienced in various dinghies and keelboats, currently a student of naval engineering. It was unusual for me to hear that he knows a bit about the Wayfarer, as I’m still probably the only W owner here. The boat, a modern 18ft design, 500kg, extremely wide hull with twin rudders (French style) and a heavy but quite high aspect centerboard.
    We set out in a moderate bura wind which means gusts from around NE, oscillating somewhere between 20 and perhaps 30 kt. Maybe a bit more, wouldn’t know as we’ve only measured the windspeed ashore, much before departure with a small handheld unit. The waves are not a concern as there is only about one mile fetch from the other side of the channel across which the wind blows. Some photos here:

    https://picasaweb.google.com/mail.mato/2011Eustahijada?authuser=0&feat=directlink

    We set out from a tiny harbor on the lee shore, with the help of outboard, and once we’re enough from shore lower the centerboard, insert the rudders into their slots and proceed to raise the main. I ask if we should have it reefed immediately, but the instructor thinks we might get away with full sail. It’s not a wrong decision but one made on purpose as we’ve come with the intention of testing/learning what it’s like when pushed hard. I thought it might be doable also because I’ve had the experience of sailing the same boat double-handed under full sail in what the instructor then thought was about 30kt. Just for the record: it was a different man, one whose judgment could not possibly be doubted as he’s got a number of medals from around the world, sailing dinghies and keelboats, and even participated as a member of Americas Cup team. If I got it correctly he’s currently in one of the TP52 teams… So back to our story, full main raised, jib unfurled. Very soon it becomes clear that we really need to reef the main. The plan is to first furl the jib so the boat heads into wind naturally, then lower the main into the cockpit (the rig is too racy and main can’t be reefed under way W style), then do the reefing and hoist it again and finally open the jib again.
    But, just like in the stories from the books about heavy weather sailing, the furling mechanism fails . The instructor makes a brief and impossible-to-literally-translate comment about the cheap Ronstan furler, jumps to the bow and tries to sort the thing out. The boat heels and rocks too much for him to do much, so it’s decided that my brother and I lower the main completely. Now it’s a bit better but the bow is falling off the wind as there is no mainsail to counter the forces on the jib. So we have the outboard started to help keep the nose into the wind and avoid being thrown by the wind and waves back onto the rocky shore. The instructor at the bow and my brother assisting from the cockpit, try all possible tricks to furl the foresail. But every time it looks like they’ve got it, the next gust shoots the thing back and makes it flog madly again. I’m at the back of the boat kneeling on the mainsail to keep it inside the boat, and try to steering the boat but with poor results. I realize that steering troubles must be due to a combination of shallow draft, high aspect centerboard, very smooth bottom of the hull (there’s no keel or bilge rails), and most importantly the propeller is not throwing water onto the rudder as the outboard is mounted between the rudders. I switch to holding the tiller with one hand and using the other one to steer directly with the outboard. This way some control is gained. No spare hands to hold onto the boat, but it’s so wide and stable that it’s not a problem while sitting on the floor. By the way, the outboard (Mariner) has a wonderful feature that it has small integral tank but can also be fed from an outside tank. So as the time passes, my brother gets the tank that we’ve put away into the small cabin, and attaches it to the motor to minimize the trouble in case we waste the fuel from the integral tank.
    As the jib freaks above our instructor’s head, threatening to beat him with a double sheet block attached to it’s clew, the sheets get tangled badly and prevent his furling efforts completely. He decides to remove the sheets by running them out of that block. Just as he finishes this, and returns to work around the furling drum, the aforementioned block fly overboard. They were attached to the jib clew with a shackle which must have come undone by all that flogging.
    After some more efforts, it was decided that the jib can’t be furled. When I asked if we could lower it down, the instructor says it cannot be done in such wind. I trust him, firstly because he’s very experienced in all kinds of boats and this one too, and because I know the boat has an very ‘unusual’ way of jib attachment. The jib has a sleeve, which has a zipper! Yes, the zipper like on trousers or on your jacket. The zipper encloses the forestay so we would need to have it undone. As I’ve had a few misfortunes with zippers in my life, of which some have been a little painful, there was absolutely no wish to fiddle with such thing here.
    From our departure it took about an hour and a half, so next decision was to sail downwind, round a headland and into a small bay where we would have less waves and much less wind, and try to sort things there. We managed to do this, and had the boat tied to a small concrete breakwater. After eating some snacks, reorganizing the blocks, sorting out the sheets and raising the main reefed, we set out (using the jib too of course). The wind kept it’s strength for some hours which gave us exhilarating sail back towards our base of the day before, 30 Nm to NW. By the end of the leg the wind decreased significantly, but all in all it took less than 6 hours. At times (close reaching) the boat flew at 10 kt which in my experience is quite extraordinary for a 18ft boat while under white sails only. We had great time. Earlier in the morning, while in the midst of problems, there wasn’t much drama between three of us. Our instructor’s calm but still quick and energetic moves, and clear commanding made my brother and I totally confident in him. Of course, no one could have been drowned in such small space there, but still if some big mistakes were made the boat could have been ruined on the rocks, someone could have been a bit injured. The most serious risk was perhaps taken by our instructor: the possibility of being knocked unconscious by the blocks on the flogging jib clew and dropping into the water. He proved to be a guy I’d sail anywhere with.

    I think this little story shows the clear difference between sailing and seamanship qualities, in design, setup and maintenance. Which are not less important than handling. Just a little time before this event, I had to set off from the same spot in very similar conditions. Together with my friend and crew Davor, who spent only 5 or 6 days in a dinghy before that, made it without a slightest glitch in my beloved Wayfarer. And perhaps it should be mentioned that we didn’t carry an outboard.

    Returning from shore where we just measured a 32kt gust peak, average was in the twenties:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/M7GNY6CzX5tNZvrwIrJ7mQ?feat=directlink

    And a little before setting out:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vSE3ik11cqR0mn9FrpBZMA?feat=directlink

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.