Latest News: Forums Technical Pump outlet

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR
    waypad
    Participant

Hello Seafarers,
    I would like to direct my outflow into the c/board case [at the mast end] but before I get to it, I would like to know of any reasons why this may not be a good idea. RSVP etc etc.
    Pete

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nothing wrong with the idea but a pipe/ hose connection onto the CB casing might need to have a locking nut/ flange on the inside and there is very little room to fit that without interfering with the sweep of the blade. Unless you are thinking about a front entry, the outlet needs to be quite deep or angled down as the squirt from a pump might cause half the water you are pumping to splash out of the top of the casing as it is aiming straight at the other side only 21 mm away.

I am sure you have considered it but a simple hole in the hull just under the deck/ hull joint would be my favourite. There is quite enough happening in the gap between the centreboard case and the mast without introducing a 20 to 30 mm pipe in the area.

You could just have a length of hose loose which you poke down the slot once the board has dropped but I don’t think you are asking about that.

Swiebertje
    Participant

It has been done before.

But I rather have a set of self bailers in my boat. That and a bucket. After all, there is no better bailer than a scared man with a bucket.  😉

waypad
    Participant

Thanks Kes, Would’nt dream of boreing a hole m the C/board case, so no chance of locknut etc. Thinking more of fixing a curved pipe [like an umberella handle] down into the open space which the forward end of the raised C/board never reaches. No shortage of space in that area in my cruiser.
    Pete

waypad
    Participant

Thanks Swiebertie,
    Have one auto bailer which is ok some of the time, but on my last experience sailing around the Lizard, lots of water comming aboard and not enough speed for bailer to cope. I have another bailer and may go down that route yet.

Swiebertje
    Participant

The problem with auto bailers is that due to the high pressure area leeward of the CB, the leeward bailer never works. But then again the windward bailer, supported by the low pressure area windward of the CB, does double the work. In other words, if you go the auto bailer route, you need a pair.

And get some ‘Andersen Super Max‘ bailers, not that plastic rubbish Hartley has been using for a while.

waypad
    Participant

I agree with what you say Swiebertie, my trouble is I mostly sail single handed and so employ a smaller mainsail and can’t allways get the speed required for the bailer [which is Andersen], however I’m not ruleing out anything at the moment and the spare Andersen keeps looking at me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.