LATEST: Forums General Proud new owner

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Morrice 1 year ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR

JudasHerb
    Participant

Hi,

I recently purchased a old wayfarer that’s been sitting in storage a long long time. Image at bottom to see what I am working with, and I intend to clean her up over winter ready for spring. This forum has answered a lot of my questions, so thanks. I do have a few more though I am hoping someone can help with.

So, first up, when registering on this site I was asked a boat/sail number. It doesn’t have sails but I found the number 390 carved into the wood, image below, would this be considered the boat number?

Next up, under the boards just starboard of the centreboard I found this mysterious clip. Can anyone tell me what it is and what its called?

Finally, I found a pump, the plastic tube goes below deck but I can’t see this pump doing much other than squirting air into the water. Is there supposed to be another attachment to squirt the water over the side?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Below is a picture of the boat, she has cleaned up well since this picture and the children have christened her “Docky”

Roy
    Participant

As no one else is saying anything,

the 2nd picture is a self bailer, you should be able to pull up the wire and a slot opens, quite often they leak so a previous user may well have sealed it from the outside so check the outside before you try opening it.

The pump is pretty unusual to have in a dinghy as by modern standards it’s a bit inefficient almost like a classic stirrup pump with water being sucked in by the pipe at the bottom and ejected through an outlet near the top.

fair winds Roy.

JudasHerb
    Participant

Thanks Roy! The help is most appreciated…a couple of mysteries solved. While I sand down the bottom I shall check out the self bailer.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

I would second Roy’s comments regarding the self bailer. If it is capable of being opened then it’s probably a good idea to leave it open while the boat is stored ashore to allow air to circulate and to let any water out of the boat.

The pump seems to be attached to the centreboard case, which is where I suspect it is intended to discharge water. The main objection that I would have to this location is that you would need to move into the middle of the boat to use the pump, which isn’t always ideal (in windy conditions).

Keep posting as your project develops!

JudasHerb
    Participant

Thanks Dave for your response. I’ll check out the self bailer very soon, I have taken the mast down, stripped the boat out and will be inverting her this weekend with the intention of inspecting the self bailer and rubbing down and repainting the bottom.

I’m quite happy with the overall condition of the boat, wood all seems solid throughout. The mast has some minor bubbling but seems solid. Only thing I am missing is a gooseneck pin, and some rubber for the forward floation hold to seal it.

And I discovered a wooden boom?! Its square, I can’t imaging what the previous owner intended, but it has all the fittings for a boom, but made in wood and square. Think i’ll stick to the aluminium boom, which’ll hurt less when it eventually gets me 🙂

I do plan to keep a diary of this restore, and will post updates.

Thanks all.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Once the boat is inverted it’s not a bad idea to keep it that way up until the weather improves, but obviously not if you need to work on the interior! But if you’re lucky enough to have somewhere like a garage to store and work on the boat then clearly it doesn’t matter…

They all had wooden spars at one time, but very few have them now!

nicko
    Participant

My wooden boat has it’s id number in a similar position on the inside of the transom, looks similar, like it has been branded in

Andrew Morrice
    Participant

Hi Judas

only just caught wind of this amazing find of yours.  the stamped on number is the “sail number”.  You have an original wayfarer there, I suppose one of the main questions you need to decide is whether you want to keep all the original fittings or re-do the boat in the modern style.  Also what “depth” of restoration is needed or desired on the hull.  I have completely stripped every inch of my wooden wayfarer as well as refitting the bailers.  My problem is that trying to communicate even a little of my hard-won knoweldge on this forum isn’t really going to work well.  you end up writing short books on here!.  Your best bet will be an afternoon with the boat and someone who sorted out an old wooden boat before done these things before.  Where are you located?

My main advice is to assume that any paint is hiding problems unless the surface is completely flawless and the wood underneath as solid as a rock.  Paint hides rot, which is why wooden boats were varnished and/or stripped and resurfaced in the old days when such work was the “winter phase” of sailing as a hobby.  That bilge area is a b*gger to strip, but in my excellent wooden boat there were in fact problems around the bailers and c/b case that required attention and I’m glad I made the effort.  the other “hidden place” for deterioration is the forward surface of the tabernacle where it meets the keelson.

How much all this matters really depends on how long you want the boat to last, what kind of sailing you envisage doing and how the boat is going to be stored.

all very best

Boris W6330 ‘Delphy’

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.