Latest News: Forums Cruising Pictures of the legendary W48

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR

Hi all,
    These were taken at the Falmouth Maritime Museum in August. She moves in and out of display as the museum rotates it’s boats. We were lucky to catch this before she started one of her “rests”. Gives one a bit of a shiver resting hands on the decks that have been rolled in the North Sea a few times. I also note an answer to at least one recent technical/cruising query in these images!
    David
    PS, note the other odd famous boat or two in the pics.

[img]503_IMG_5534_1.jpg

http://wayfarer.org.uk/forum/userpix/503_IMG_5533jpg_1.jpg

tanj2

But no reefing points???

HI,
    I should have taken pics of the gooseneck. It’s roller reefing. Square section boom. Centre sheet would have made this a challenge but the boat could be rigged rear sheeted when reefed or a number of other tricks used.

One thing I noticed was the single shackle at the stem holding the rig up. I’m not convinced it would have been rigged like this because there is a second fixing point on the stem fitting just aft of the one in use. The method shown does mean the sail passes over the mast lowering rope cleanly, but although it’s not that clear on the pics the shackle at the stem fitting is smaller and relatively new compared to the older one above the block. Interesting to see though, as is the provision of two sets of jib cleats for different size sails.
    David

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.