Latest News: Forums Technical Painting Wooden Deck Mark 1

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    David Greenhalgh
    Participant

Hi,

I am a Wayfarer newbie and relative sailing novice. I’ve just bought a Mark 1 in pretty good condition, but I want to paint the plywood decks. The varnish has worn and I don’t want to keep revarnishing, so unless I replace the deck with a nice sapele ply one day painting it is. I am thinking Epiphanes. Should I go for a non-skid deck coating or can I go for polyurethane two part – thinking I’d like to get a durable and shiny finish?

Is there any thing else I should consider particularly. Do I need to mask off and should I paint the whole deck and edgings. I’m a fairly neat painter usually. The hull is white. Are there any Wayfarer conventions, colour charts – no no’s with colour? Many thanks for any feedback.

john1162
    Participant

If you decide to paint the paint will have to be robust enough to walk on so perhaps a two pack.  The wooden boats I have seen that have been painted never looked good probably because the paint was trying to hide something.  Keep this in mind for just in case you want to sell your boat.  You can choose any colour you like but I would not paint the rubbing strips as they will get scuffed.

David Greenhalgh
    Participant

Thanks for this. Hmm, to varnish or not to varnish?

Steve W76
    Participant

Varnish…..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.