Latest News: Forums Technical painting floor boards

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AUTHOR

Any idea what kind of paint I need to get to paint the floor boards of my Mk2 watfarer?

Paul

admin

One not to use, I painted mine with Interdeck from International, it has granules in it to give grip.

http://www.marinescene.co.uk/product/3265/international-interdeck-750ml-non-slip-deck-paint

but I have to say it is a bit too granulated and now muddy footprints are a pain to clean off.

I also had to sand down the edges and where the floor boards rest on the GRP ledges that support the floor boards to save the gelcoat from being sanded back by the paint finish! I plan to overpaint it with a smooth paint next time I bring her home to try to make it a bit less aggressive.

You can get a deck paint from Blakes (Hemple) http://www.mylorchandlery.co.uk/blakes-deck-coating-paint~2506 into which you can mix a sachet of granules to choose how grainy/grippy you want to make it.

It has to be grippy but not so much that it wears through the knees of your trousies.

Swiebertje
    Participant

Maybe this helps as well?

annabelbowker
    Participant

I use Wilkinson’s floor paint to paint the floorboards, you can add some sand if you want grip but I haven’t found myself sliding around yet unless I have a boat full of mud.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You can achieve a non abrasive non slip finish using varnish and sugar. I used this method several years ago when I replaced the floor boards but it would work just as well over an existing finish.
    Apply as many coats of varnish as you think appropriate but before the final coat mask the arreas you do not want to be non slip and apply a final coat to the remainder. Before it dries sprinkle sugar on to the varnish. After the varnish has hardened wash the boards with hot water, this disolves the sugar but does not affect the varnish and you have a non abrasive non slip finish.
    I picked this tip up at least twelve years ago at a cruising conference and have used it ever since and have had no problems

revoli

A mate of mine who is a professional model maker also suggested the sugar technique and he really knows his stuff…

My beautifully cared for woodie that I’ve taken on from Jackie Dobson (it was her father Basil Hodder’s before that) has the floorboards painted with white paint (I’m assuming a good boat paint) with fine sand mixed in. It looks good and it’s very grippy.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

One thing that helps to keep the paint or varnish on floorboards is to round the edges of the boards completely.
    Paint does not like square edges !!!

Also, if the ply is new, Epoxy the edges and fill any holes in the inner core with thickened Epoxy.

This as your see is a very open part of a sheet of ply and is also end grain which will suck up any water it can!!

I have always started to Varnish any plywood with 2 part Poly Varnish first, thinned to start with then std mix on later coats. Its cheaper also than a coat of Epoxy and less likely to wrong with moisture in the air.
    Not everyone paints in there lounge!!!
    Its a harder coating and soaks in well, then I have put 1 part on top for ease of ware.
    CP

barryboy

Agree with the previous poster. It’s worth ensuring edges are filled and well coated. my old boards suffered badly from rainwater running down the mast.

I made new floorboards last year and painted them with International epoxy floor paint. I tried the anti slip formulation but it looked so scruffy I cleaned it off immediately. Trouble is.. they are definitely now too slippery when wet. Plan “B” is to try some of [url=”http://www.apescruffy ape.co.uk/gbu0-prodshow/anti-slip-antislip-tape-safetywalk-safety-grip-non.html”]this[/url].

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.