Latest News: Forums Cruising Overnight near Dell Quay, Chichester (with photos)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Just thought I’d share the tale of a quick escape I made from the rigours of family life……(discreet planning, packing and putting away after not quite so quick)
    Having booked myself out for Monday night I watched the forecast looking wetter and wetter for Monday (sorry this is supposed to be an escape from flood news) whilst Tuesday looked beautiful. Initially I had fancied another go at Bembridge (I’m based at Hayling Island) but the forecast and tides knocked that on the head. So I donned wetsuit vest, pac a mac under knackered wind cheater, wooly hat and waterproof trousers and launched around 5pm in light winds. Motoring out to an empty mooring and then full sail in an Easterly force 2 towards Itchenor reach. Steady drizzle but with contact lenses in and still warm it didn’t matter. It seemed like there were only two other boats in the whole harbour. With grey clouds looking back towards East Head and black water everything was literally in black and white. Passing Bosham channel I prepared to row then up it came again nudging me past Bosham Hoe. Reduced to a crawl and then I rowed, then sailed again, never re-attached the kicker having pulled the boom up on the aft reefing line to row. Finally motored the last 200 metres as I was fed up, soaked and cold and decided I needed to inspect what I was going to dry out on….plus my home-made tent takes a “wet weekend” to put up…….anchored off Oldpark wood, the idea being shelter from the forecast Northerly. Saw a deer and couple of fawns at the water’s edge. Anyhow once under shelter and in warm dry clothes with a cuppa or three felt fantastic. After food time for a night explore of the shore with my wellies and torch, squelchy in places ……photo time

Woke at 6 for a millpond breakfast and let the photos do the talking. Heaven. Put in a precautionary reef at 8.15 to beat through all the boats moored in Itchenor Reach. Shook the reef out past Cobnor point (under a bit of time pressure before the slipway at Mengham rythe dries out) and again had the harbour pretty much to myself. But this time bathed in sunshine and a steady NW force 3 +. Motored up to the slipway for 10 am. 7 miles each way. Perfect trip!

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Nice one Dave!

It’s an area I hardly know at all, but definitely one for my (long) shortlist.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.