LATEST NEWS: Forums Technical Outhaul and boom arrangement for Mark 1

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Alison Corfield 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR

Alison Corfield
    Participant

Hi – I have a mark 1 wayfarer which I am gradually putting together and I do not have any fittings on the end of the boom – can anyone with a mark 1 describe this arrangement for me please?

Participant

wood or alli boom?

Alison Corfield
    Participant

Aluminium boom

Participant

Can you post a pic?

Work out who made the boom, what shape is its cross section, then you can source the fittings.

Alison Corfield
    Participant

I am not sure how to secure the sail clew, set up an outhaul or how to attach the main sheet –  at the boom end there appears to be a pin protruding from the centre which the plate is slotted onto and secured with a ring as shown in the pics.

Bob Harland
    Participant

The clew outhaul is fixed – use a thin lanyard from the cringle around the stubby horns on the end of the boom and back to the clew, depending on the lanyard repeat 2 or 3 times.

To attach the mainsheet use a single block with becket, an example here.

https://www.pinbax.com/index.asp?Details=44479&mc=Hardware&sc=Blocks

Attach the block to the “slotted plate” with the shackle. For the transom use a double block to give a 3:1 purchase. The mainsheet starts at the boom end, secure it to the becket with a bowline.

Hope that helps

Alison Corfield
    Participant

Ah wow that does really help! I would never have worked out how to do the outhaul. Thank you – I may have some further Mark 1 questions as I go!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.