Latest News: Forums Cruising Outboard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Roger
    Participant

Hi Robert,
    Many thanks for your interest. Lots to think about. I expect I’ll be back on here soon.

Regards Roger.

Roger
    Participant

Hi Guys, I bought the engine this morning, and yes it is not a long shaft. It’s a Forty Plus MK. 2. Just the job if it fires up OK. Probably test it at the club this weekend. I do have a question though, should it have an air filter? It dos’nt, and I don’t see one in the parts book.

Regards Roger.

BluTak
    Participant

Correct – no filter required. If you just mount it on the transom with no bracket it will be a bit high – You really need a Bracket but you can try it.
    There are more ways of fixing a bracket than skinning a cat on the forum including one from me. Even if you don’t use my method you can still save quite a lot by fabricating your own leg (see thread). A bracket makes it a million times easier to use as you can still use the tiller and it doesn’t get knocked by the mainsheet
    Good luck and don’t forget your waterskis!
    Robert
    (if you want drawing of my bracket give me your email address)

Roger
    Participant

Hi everybody, Filled the dustbin with water this morning and with the seagull clamped to a sack barrow and immersed in the bin, It started on the third pull. Not bad I thought for a motor that has’nt run since 1986. I’m really pleased, as you can imagine. So smooth. I can’t wait to try it on the boat. I went down to the club this afternoon to see how it looked on the back of the boat. As far as depth is concerned it looked about right. Although I won’t know for certain ’till it’s in the water. It will need to be put on a bracket though, as it fouls the mainsheet bridle. I don’t think you could have got my pm, Blu tak, so i’ll try again. I can’t try the motor out properly as, the only boats allowed to use an engine on our pond are the rescue craft, so I went for a sail. A perfect end to a very satisfying day.

Regards Roger.

Roger
    Participant

Hi, Thanks for the PM Blu Tac. I think I’l do as you Suggest and buy the shoe, and make the bracket and pad myself. My boat is wooden. Do you think the transom will need re-enforcement? I can’t read PDF on my laptop. So I will see if there is a program I can download. Just in case I don’t find anything. How far back from the transom should the Outboard be?

Kind Regards Roger

BluTak
    Participant

Hi Roger – I will measure distance tonight and email you. If you send address I will post my sketch to you.
    Robert

Roger
    Participant

Great pictures and good engineering,Blu Tak. I think I’ll have a go at making the bracket and shoe myself. I may even try to incorparate the Seagull clamp bracket as well,so that it’s all in one. What are the shoe dimensions?

Regards Roger.

BluTak
    Participant

Hi Roger – glad you got it
    Suggest you look up thread in technical section titled “outboard bracket”
    Dated Feb 12th started by Overdraught. In this I give size of shoe etc
    Robert

I have a Yamaha 4hp on Buttercup. In the past I have tended to leave it permanently installed on the transom, precisley becasue when I need to use it I don’t want to leave the boat unhelmed with the kids on board as I struggle to attached it to the transom in what woukld inevitably be a small emergency.

My question however is this. One of the disadvantages of my setup, is that the boom swings perilously close to the top to the engine cover when tacking. (The engine sits on the transom and not the detachable mounting so often mentioned in these forums). Furthermore there is often the danger that the mainsheets get wrapped around the engine during the same manouvre. Therefore would the detachable engine mounting solve both of my concerns? If so is the Boats’n’bits solution the way to go? or does anyone else use the engine directly on the transomwith the probles I have encountered?

Many thanks as always.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Having the outboard cantilevered behind the transom (as with the B’n’B bracket) reduces the likelihood of the mainsheet tangling on the engine casing, as does relocating the mainsheet block from the end of the boom to a slider about a foot or so in from the end of the boom. One advantage of a bracket is that you can reposition the pad at the exact height that you want it, so as to avoid the boom clipping the engine casing. Admittedly you may have to replace the pad to achieve this, but that’s straightforward enough.

I bought a very cheap cover for my outboard – it has been compared with a shower cap, which I thought was a bit harsh – that I leave on the engine when not actually motoring. This helps to prevent the starting cord grip and/or the choke control from being caught on the mainsheet.

howard

I started with my engine mounted on the transom (there was already a pad fitted) and had problems with mainsheet catching on the motor, or its tiller handle fairly often. I tried a cover, but it made little difference with the engine on the transom. By the way, I sail with a centre mainsheet.

In the end I copied the majority and put the engine on a bracket, and that resolved the problem. The only negative factor is the additional weight leveraged off the back, which does impact boat trim. For me, the loss in performance while cruising is worth the safety factor of having the engine immediately available.

I replaced the plastic pad on the extension with my own (laminated out of ply), because I wanted the mount the shoe as high as possible to ensure it stayed out of the water, while keeping the engine height correct. I’ve also mounted the engine to port, which means that my tiller handle is outboard. Opinion is divided about if that helps avoid snagging; I thought it did. I also mounted the engine far enough to port to allow me to fix the outboard and steer with the rudder.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.