Latest News: Forums Cruising Outboard bracket- MK1 GRP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Robert Henson
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m looking to fit an outboard bracket to my MK1 GRP, the issue I’m having is 2 large lumps of foam in the rear compartment which will make getting a reinforcing plate in really difficult.  Is there a way round this or do I need to bite the bullet and remove and replace the foam?

john1162
    Participant

I fitted one recently and yes remove the foam. The foam in the one I did was held in with a thin GRP sheet. I used a multi tool to remove it. So long as everything is clean and dry putting it back with tape and resin is easy but messy if you do not mask the area.

Traveller
    Participant

I’m also planning to do this soon. I’m paranoid about putting holes into the rear tank, which I’ve just spent ages smoke testing and doing my best to reseal.  How did you counter this? Do you just use loads of Sikaflex on the bolt holes or is there a better way?

Thanks!

Robert Henson
    Participant

My final solution, if anyone is interested I came up with a pretty neat solution for my MK1 GRP.

Rather than fiddle about with nuts glued to the end of spanners and reinforcing the transom, I fitted 4 clinch nuts to a piece of 200mm square, 3mm thick aluminium,  to the front of this I attached another piece of 2mm aluminium with 18mm holes to clear the flange of the clinch nuts.

The advantage of this is that the loaf is spread over a big surface area and it is easy to fit….

Robert, sounds very neat. Can you post a photo?

Robert Henson
    Participant

Unfortunately, being a buffoon I didn’t take any before I fitted it!!! It has worked really well though….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.