Latest News: Forums Technical Outboard bracket / bench brackets

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Richard Foy
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve just bought a Wayfarer World.  Oddly it is missing a couple of bits which are essential to some family cruising in mind….

Outboard bracket: a wooden pad is there, but no bracket.  The holes through the transom are in a rectangular pattern, 6cm apart left-right and 11cm top-bottom.  Does anyone know what bracket will fit?  I’d like to avoid making more holes through the transom near the old ones if possible…

bench brackets: it has removable benches with stainless legs, these are missing on one side – i.e. I have the seat but not the legs!  Does anyone know where I might be able to source these

Thanks in advance for any advice

Best wishes,

Trev

john1162
    Participant

Ian Porter “porters dot org dot uk” or hartley boats are probably the only places to find some old stock or you could try posting on the wayfarer dinghy group on Facebook.  I had a World with seats but the seats didn’t stay in for long. They get in the way and are not very well attached.  I remember seeing a World at South Shields which capsized and the crew ripped the seats off when using them to get back in the boat. I would suggest trying the boat without rear seats. You get a very comfortable back rest when sat on the floor in calm sunny weather.

I wouldn’t say they are essential to family sailing. Even with 4 in the boat my daughter will not let her crew invade the area behind the thwart. Skippers domain.  The helm should spend most of the time with their front leg touching the centre thwart. But there again if you are just pottering I can see the usefulness. Plenty of seating for the picnic. Whichever way you go seats or no seats you will find what’s best for you.

Richard Foy
    Participant

Thanks that’s very helpful to hear, I had wondered if there was enough space further forward while in family gently gently mode and this rather confirms it.  I’ll try out the one complete seat I have and see what if anything that adds before worrying about sorting out the other seat.

I’ve found an outboard bracket with transom holes at the same centres,but it is an aluminium shoe/bracket which then joins onto a black powder coated steel arm – yuck!  Surely the original fitment must’ve been better…

Trev

john1162
    Participant

No. that is what was available at the time. Very heavy and the arm rusts. Much better getting a stainless one from Aeroluffspars.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.